Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Patio Floor Upgrade - Need Help

Sam1
Just Starting Out

Patio Floor Upgrade - Need Help

Hi all, need some advice as I have been grappling with how to improve our patio floor. As you can see from the photos below the existing tiles are worse for wear and we would like to spruce up the look outside.

I have tried painting over them with a paving paint but that was unsuccessful as it began to blister and peel away. I did use a primer coat (can't remember the product). Ultimately had to remove the lot. The existing tiles look like they have some sort of grip dust embedded in the tile which may have been the problem with the lack of adherence of the primer / paint.

I am not keen on removing the tiles and would like anyone's thoughts on other low cost options and not too difficult so a modest handyman can undertake. Also something which is relatively easy to cut particularly around pool fencing and pool edge surround. Thank you in advance.

IMG_0463.JPGIMG_0461.JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Patio Floor Upgrade - Need Help

Hi @Sam1,

Welcome to Workshop and thanks for joining in the discussion. I trust our ever-helpful community members might have some useful suggestions for you. Feel free to post anytime you need advice for a project around the house and garden. We have clever and creative members sharing information and inspiration on the site every day.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Shane
Having an Impact

Rip up the tiles and put a timber deck over the top of the concrete. I don't think you are going to get a good result by keeping the tiles.

gippslandhome
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Sam1 

I've seen this issue man times over the past 25 years. One way is to do as suggested and rip up and timber deck everything.

Or a much more handyman friendly way is to go over the top of the existing tiles with a new more modern tile which is easily done and comes with all your warranty and guarantees.

The process is very simple. Gurni the old tiles off.

Use a very special product that is designed to actually stick to the tiles as a primer and then simply tile and grout as normal.

We have successfully done this for decades and it is so much cheaper and easier.

The only thing that you would need to check is your heights as you will raise up approximately 15mm depending on your tile selection.

Bunnings has some super external tiles.

All the best.

Warm regards Rob 👍😁

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

How'd you go with this project @Sam1 ?

My suggestion is to simply deck over the existing tiles - no need to remove them first.

You have a step down from your back door so plenty of room for 20mm of decking plus the frame. I suggest using composite framing which you fix to your slab through the tiles and simply lay your decking on top. Given there'll be a lack airflow between the tiles and underside of decking, composite decking would be best as timber really needs sufficient airflow to prevent moisture build up and ultimately your timber going bad.

Whatever your solution is, you need to consider the finishing height along your pool fence to ensure you meet the minimum 1200mm fencing height and don't encroach the specified No Climb Zones (NCZ) for your state.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects