Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pergola / Patio in a Rental

paulmp
Growing in Experience

Pergola / Patio in a Rental

Hey All,

My first post here... just after some advice or recommendations. We're moving into a rental this week, the house is great but there is no patio / pergola / alfresco area. The owner has put down some decking of sorts, which should be just enough for us to put our BBQ on.

I'm thinking of putting up either 2 gazebos (3m X 3m each making a 6m x 3m cover), or some sort of semi-temporary structure so that we can use the area outside over our wet season of winter. Has anyone previously had to deal with anything like this.

We're planning to only be in the house for 18-24 months while we sort out our deposit and start building our house (with a massive alfresco), so we'd like something that will last that long at least and won't blow away in the first winter storm that comes along.

I'm very capable with the tools having worked in a few trades, so don't mind building something that I can then dismantle at the end of the lease and take with us.

- paul

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Pergola / Patio in a Rental

Hi Paul (@paulmp),

Welcome to Workshop. We hope you receive lots of great advice and inspiration from our community members. We have lots of creative and helpful members who are always happy to share their knowledge and experience, and it sounds like you have plenty to offer, too. 

This sounds like a great project, and I hope you'll get some useful suggestions. It might help though if you put up a couple of photos of the area you are working with. What's there currently and what were you planning to use as the base?  

Thanks again for joining us, and please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kellie
Making a Splash

I wonder if you could talk to the landlord @paulmp? They might want you to build something permanent that will improve the house. You could perhaps negotiate a discount on your rent for organising it or building it. I would have thought that it would be unlikely that something you build for one property would be suitable for another.

paulmp
Growing in Experience

The owner of this place won't even put on a security screen door on the front door unfortunately.

We're all moved in now, the rear yard actually has paving and a solid base that I can build a freestanding cover on. I've put together a bit of a plan, looking at 4-6 upright posts, 4 main beams along the top, 6 smaller cross beams and then some colour bond on top.

Assuming I get the bracing right, it should be very steady. I'm working on anchoring it down somehow as well.

I'll post a photo of the area I'm working with shortly.

David1
Growing in Experience

Make sure you get written permission to put anything up that is semi permanent my wife is a property manager and from experience everything in writing regards David
paulmp
Growing in Experience

Definitely will be getting permission in writing, thanks for the tip though!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@David1,

Thanks for joining in the discussion on Workshop and sharing some advice. It's great to have you as one of our latest community members. I trust you will also receive plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration for your own projects from our clever and creative members. 

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Welcome,

Jason 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @paulmp,

Just wondering if you have made any progress on your pergola project?

Also, have you seen this video series? It might prove useful for your build - http://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/outdoor/decking/how-to-build-a-pergola-overview

Jason

paulmp
Growing in Experience

Not yet, still recovering budget-wise from the move and a few other unexpected costs (cars.. it never ends does it).

Looking at a couple of other options vs building something free standing. Oztrail do a 3x6m semi-permanent gazebo that might be suitable.. a few other brands have various options as well. Just not sure how hardy they are and if they will be destroyed over our usually very wet winter.

paulmp
Growing in Experience

I'm thinking if I could get something like this but in 3x6m instead of 3x4m it would be ideal:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/mimosa-3-x-4m-semi-permanent-cairo-gazebo_p3191235

I'd have to spray the canvas with waterproofing to really get a good seal, but it would be enough to keep all but the worst of the elements off my BBQ and outdoor setting.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects