Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pergola footings

pats6182
Having an Impact

Pergola footings

I have watched the videos on pergola construction, and would like to build a 5x3 unroofed japanese freestanding pergola. I am not very confident in centering the stirrups in concrete, hence planning concrete footing 600mm deep and 300 mm wide and then bolt the post to the concrete footing with the stirrup. Will this work or need to put the post in the concrete?

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Re: Pergola

G'day @pats6182 , nice to meet you :smile:

Is it possible for you to include a picture or sketch or link to a similar pergola? I am not sure about others but I don't know off the top of my head what an unroofed Japanese pergola looks like sorry! The inclusion of the word 'freestanding' obvioulsy adds to the degree of difficulty as well.

Regarding whether to bolt to a stirrup or to put the post into the concrete...maybe others know more but personally I think it would help to see the sort of scale of the pergola before being able to give you any useful information.

Wow that sounds like such a 'buzzkill'...my apologies as I am more than willing to help (if I can!); but more information would really help :smile:

Peace

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Hi @pats6182  Welcome to the forum

Videos and photos can only take you so far, Therefore you might want to Consider 3D Engineering BIM

Advanatages are

1. The data and ( XYZ) coordinate System can be used with Real onsite tools for setout and positioning Here

BIM, Data and Bosch Tools Concrete Footings

2. With the right software you can also Plan projects, Extact Quantities, Estimate material and labour costs, automate and run simulations,etc,etc

3. The Engineering and Construction 3D BIM details are also easier to  follow and the 3D Model can be used on site during your build

Alternatively, if you are going to use basic 2D (XY) Plans without coordinated heights (Z)

Then you might consider temporary supporting the frame on props and fix the posts and stirrups last

Finally casting  timber posts directly into concrete footings isn't recommended

Consult with your council regarding plannings,code compliance  and Engineering/Building certification and approvals

OT

3D Japanese Pergola Unfortunately these are Dumbed Down 3D Models ideal for concepts only... but can be imported Into AEC Bim Software like the one I use.

Chris

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @pats6182,

Sounds like another great project. Let me tag @Adam_W for you as I'm sure he will be able to steer you in the right direction regarding your footings.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi CaptainBuff,

Something simialr to the one below.

Image result for pergola pictures

Not sure if it's a Japanese pergola but yeah!

The area is 5 meters by 3 meters and there would be decking going underneath. 

Thanks

Hi @BIM_Engineer,

Thanks for your response. I wouldn't like to invest in a laser device for just one project. A DIYer so it won't be worth it for future projects. Any alternative to this.

Also since it is unroofed I wouldn't have to go to the council, however do they suggest/recommend conrete footings?

I was thinking about using the product similar below

Simpson StrongTie Hot Dip Galvanised Concealed Post Base Suits 140 - 152mm Square Posts Stirrup 

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Thanks for the additional info
Start with the decking and you will need footings Here

How to install Bearers and Stumps for a deck

Note this is Top down construction..Stumps are suspended into a hole, bearers are temporarily supported 

until concrete footing are poured. Here is a Bim 3D Model

How to build a timber deck

Timber pergola columns can be attached to the corners,etc,etc hth

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Hi @pats6182 

I mean no offence to @BIM_Engineer; but I agree with you that BIM is a possibly a little much for a pergola. It is a great tool for Engineers...I don't debate that at all! However it is one of many tools that Engineers can use...and in this case I don't think it would be necessary due to being a bit 'overkill'. Just IMHO BIM Engineer; I apologise as no offence is intended!

Regarding further details I will PM.

That is a very nice looking design! Personally - just from an aesthetic viewpoint only; and just in my humble opinion of course - but I love the look of wood members in a 'solid as concrete' design such as that! :drool: haha. Should be a great project mate :smile:

Peace

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects