Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Personalised cornhole boards

LauraO
Finding My Feet

Personalised cornhole boards

I wanted to share our personalised cornhole board which I made for entertaining and our wedding yard games. Corn hole is a popular American game which is becoming popular amongst our group of friends for backyard parties and BBQs.

Screenshot_20220701-193212_Gallery.jpg

The materials are pictured below, all sourced from bunnings. I had the 1200mm x 1200mm Plywood board cut in half at bunnings as well as the untreated pine timber lengths. 

20220506_094934.jpg

I followed measurments online for a regulation cornhole board. I used an adjustable hole saw to cut the 150mm hole in the two pieces of plywood which would make up the top of the board. 

20220506_113555.jpg

20220506_115030.jpg

I then cut the pine timber lengths to size and screwed together to create the frame of the boards. The top was then nailed to the frame using a nail gun. All the holes were then filled in using pine wood putty. Afterwhich I sanded down the sides to makes them flush with the top fir a seamless look. 

20220506_125932.jpg

I then taped up the design on the top, using painters tape. I opted for a triangle design with a border for both boards, but with an alternate deisgn between them.

20220510_121237.jpg

I then used sikkens ebony timber stain to colour the design, but also keep the wood grain coming through. I ended up using three coats to get the depth I wanted and the contrast with the raw pine.

VideoCapture_20220701-191029.jpg

I removed the tape and sealed the boards with Cabot's matte water based timber finish, a non-yellowing formula which kept the blonde pine look on the unstained sections, while sealing from the elements. I then taped it up again for the boarder painting. I used a glass white spary paint for the border, giving a uniform, seamless finish, with an almost vinyl look to the finish.

VideoCapture_20220701-191846.jpg

VideoCapture_20220701-191859.jpg

  

VideoCapture_20220701-192108.jpg

I then added a LR vinyl decal for mine and my partner's initial monogram.

20220604_144753.jpg

The legs were then cut from the timber lengths, using an ozito mitre saw to cut the ends to a 30 degree angle, and to round the tops off. These were then attached to the tops of the boards using bolts and washers to allow the legs to be folded away for storage.

VideoCapture_20220701-192645.jpg

VideoCapture_20220701-192709.jpg

I finished off the boards with handle holes in the sizes for easy transport, and they were ready to go. Sealed for all weather and built  for the toughest of competitors. 

Screenshot_20220701-193146_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220701-193203_Gallery.jpg

  

Screenshot_20220701-193212_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220701-195555_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220701-195643_Gallery.jpg

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Personalised cornhole boards

Hello @LauraO

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your personalized cornhole boards. 

Congratulations on the wedding! Those boards just look fabulous and I'm sure will provide many hours of entertainment. I'm truly impressed that you've gone out of your way to make these weatherproof. How long did the project take to finish? What kind of budget should be set aside for these game boards? 

My pro tip for the game is to wear shoes to avoid twisting ankles and keep the bag flat and toss it like a frisbee. 

Cornhole challenge: Loading the hole.

Difficulty: Hard

Each team member must throw their bag to the edge of the hole short of sinking in. The last team member to throw their bag must hit all the other bags and sink all of them in at the same time for the big win.

Again, thank you very much for your sharing pictures and the materials you used for your cornhole boards.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric,

Thanks so much for your response. The material cost was around $130 for the two boards (Plywood, untreated pine and bolts) and then the finishing costs really depend on how you want to finish it ie with stain or paint or wherever your creativity takes you. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Fantastic to have you join the Bunnings Workshop community @LauraO. Many thanks for sharing your project in such detail so other members inspired by your handiwork will be able to replicate what you have done. Love your work.

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects