Workshop
Ask a question

Pigeon infestation under solar panels

phillip001
Just Starting Out

Pigeon infestation under solar panels

Scores of pigeons have made my roof (under the solar panels) their home. Apart from the obvious, the gutters on the North side of the roof are clogged up with pigeon droppings, egg shells, feathers, carcasses so much so that grass, plants and even some trees have started to grow out of it..

I read that the pigeons droppins etc also pose a health risk. I also suspact that the bugs, flies and other creepy crawlies which have made their way into the house, may have come from there.

Does anyone have a permanent solution to getting rid of the pigeons permanently without voiding the warranty on the solar panels?

Thank you.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Pigeon infestation

Hi @phillip001,

Thanks for joining in the discussion on Workshop. Great to see you make your first post. Sorry to read of your pigeon problem though!

Are you able to share a photo or two of your roof and solar panels so members can see what you are working with? My first thought was that if they are sheltering underneath the solar panels, could bird netting be installed to block access?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@phillip001 Welcome to the community! As Jason mentioned a couple of pictures would be great, bird netting is a good option and or whites-600mm-anti-bird-pest-control-spike 

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

@phillip001 

"(under the solar panels)"

G'day Phillip.

I don't have solar panels - but I did watch installers place panels on my neighbour's roof - what's the gap between the roof and the underside of the panels?  Around 100mm?

You mention warranty issues. What restrictions does the panel manufacturer insist on? I have a couple of ideas but don't know if they would void the warranty.

Finally - is your roof corrugated iron?

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

@phillip001 

As used by Bunnings.... according to their Our Clients page, anyway 

https://pigeoncontrol.com.au/

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects