Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pool deck

magesh
Finding My Feet

Pool deck

Hi Everyone 

I am planning to build a deck around the pool. It is around 150 to 200mm above the ground. Just wondering if it is good to use stirrups than the timber post considering it is closer to pool. Any advise on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks for 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Pool deck

Hi @magesh,

Welcome to the Workshop community. We're really pleased you could join us and look forward to seeing your pool decking project come to completion.

Let me tag a couple of very experienced members in @ProjectPete and @Adam_W, who have both done many poolside decking projects. You might be particularly interested in seeing Adam's poolside timber-free deck project

Please let me know if you need any help getting the most from the Workshop site, or ever have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

It's going to look great! I live when decks have a higher finish height than the ground (or pool in this case) next to it. Adds dimension and purpose to the space IMO.

20191208_175039.jpg

H5 posts are good for the job still. The positioning should be (depth of hole = offset from pool). Give yourself a good 150mm around the post for plenty of concrete support.

Also suggest using 200x50 H4 sleepers for the framing around your pool. As these are able to be in constant contact with soil/moisture use them to create a border around the pool that holds the sand in around it and you can even back some up against the other side. Then you have plenty of support given you need your 200mm clearance everywhere else under the deck.

Hope this helps.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Thanks Pete,

You are suggesting to use H4 200x50 sleepers as the bearers is that correct?

Thanks 

Magesh 

Create a border around the pool using those which means some will be bearers and some will be joists.

Then continue the rest of your frame with the H3 timber you've planned.

This photo should help show what I mean.

20200328_160336.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

@ProjectPeteWhats the black stuff on the H4 sleepers ? Just the normal water proofing tar stuff or something different.

Love the insta pages

Cheers

H

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @haytch. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

I trust @ProjectPete will let us know what the black coating is. I suspect it is a bitumen-based product similar to Bondall 1L Inground Timber Protector, used for extra protection where pool water might settle upon the timber.

Are you planning your own deck project? We'd encourage you to let us know if you need any help or would like to share it with us. I trust you'll find a tonne of inspiration within the community just like this project as our amazing members contribute their ideas here all the time.

I'll be looking forward to hearing more about your project and plans.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects