Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Preventing paint bleed while using masking tape

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

Preventing paint bleed while using masking tape

G’day All, I am painting a door With 2 colours and have experienced paint bleed through masking tape. See pictures attached. I have to retouch the paint but want to avoid further bleed. Any suggestions would be welcome. Many thanks in advance. Chris

4187281E-1ECF-40AC-9E54-E4481722BC4F.jpeg32B8CAC5-2A0D-4DD4-84F9-89F7BFF2C5BC.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Preventing paint bleed while using masking tape

Hi Chris (@BigFella1956),

Great to have you join us. Another experienced handyman is more than welcome in the community, especially one with plenty of carpentry experience. We're sure you'll find plenty of like-minded people in the community to connect with and share ideas and advice.  

There's plenty of experienced painters in the community, but let me tag @Simon who might like to kick off the discussion.

Please let me know if you ever need a hand gettting the most from the Workshop site, or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

Thanks Jason. I look forward to helping and being helped. All the best. Chris

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

@BigFella1956 

What's the surface of the walls? Were you using plain old masking tape or a dedicated painter's tape like this? - https://www.bunnings.com.au/scotchblue-24mm-sharp-paint-lines-painter-s-masking-tape-with-edge-lock_...

Remember that when you remove the tape is also important - wait until it's dry to touch. Scoring the edge with a knife can also help you to get a clean line.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Couple of similar ideas for you and Frog Tape.

Frog Tape

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

Hi Isobel, thanks very much. I’m painting a solid wood external door and while I use the blue painters tape, I see the one you recommended has 2093 on it, the number on mine is 2090. Yes, I wait till the paint is dry before peeling it off. Nice tip about the scoring. Cheers, Chris 

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

Hi Brad, I have viewed the videos in your response so it looks like tape and caulk. Off to bunting’s I go. I appreciate your help. Cheers, Chris

That's a great tip about using chaulk, many thanks for sharing those videos @Brad.

@ProjectPete - I think I recall you saying your wife painted the kids room below. Maybe she could share her secrets for getting such beautiful sharp lines with no bleeding?

Jason 

15119-0228.jpg 

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

My thanks to Isobel and Brad. I re-did the paint job and it worked out a treat. I used painter's tape (Frog) and then scored it when dry and got lovely straight lines with little bleed. Because I was using 2 colours, I used the primary colour to also seal the tape edge and then painted over with the secondary colour.

Fantastic. Many thanks for letting us know @BigFella1956. It would be great if you could share a picture or two as I'm sure there will be community members keen to learn from your experience for their painting jobs. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects