Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Protect fence from rot

EV77
Growing in Experience

Protect fence from rot

We just had a new timber fence installed and I want to protect the bottom from rot.  The fence is in a dark damp section where water runs off into the garden bed adjacent to the fence line. The area is also prone to leaf drop from a neighboring river red gum so we often get buildup of leaf debris in the garden bed.  I was considering putting builders plastic along the bottom of the fence line in the hopes of stopping the wet soil from the garden bed coming into contact with the bottom of the fence.  Would that help or would it make it worse because water can not freely drain? What other solutions are available to stop damp soil and leaf litter touching the fence?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Protect fence from rot

No worries, thanks @Trevz. The ever-helpful @MitchellMc will be back on the site tomorrow (Friday) and will be happy to share his thoughts. 

Let me also tag @Adam_W to see if he might like to share what approach he would take.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Trevz,

It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I've made contact with James Hardie technical assistance and they have informed me that their current range of cement sheeting would only last a few years underground as it is not suitable for that application. They have suggested a  product specifically designed for this purpose like Whites 600mm x 5m Recycled Garden Root Barrier and Whites 300mm x 8m Recycled Garden Edging would be much more effective.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

SalBay
Building a Reputation

I've used the 300mm edging , works well, needs a bit of digging (you will find tree roots!), it can be a bit wavy, best to unroll first, measure and cut, then lay it flat on a concrete slab in the sun , with some weights on it, for a day to flatten it out. The offcuts are useful for making various things , (dog poop scoops etc), cuts easily with tinsnips & bends well with a hot air gun.

Hi, I followed these instructions but then it didn’t work as the drop is around 400mm so the garden edging was too short. What can I put between the soil and new timber fence to keep the fence from rotting and hold up the soil please? I also have to leave by gap for draining down to the front of the street.

86D6F3ED-64E5-4DCC-A86C-D6EE79C47F76.jpeg

E81AFB4D-361D-4068-A112-F01759FCA4BB.jpeg

F230781A-2A7A-476C-9EE3-1CE8880FADD8.jpeg

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mrsgiveitago and thanks for your post. Let me tag @EricL who will be happy to assist you as soon as possible.

Please refrain from making multiple topics about the same topic as it makes the forum harder for others to use and navigate. Please be assured we will provide the support you need. 

Jason

@Jason Thank You! The first time I posted the topic, I could not see it anywhere. Are there two topics posted that are the same? Can you please send me the links to view them? In 'My Posts,' it only shows one.

There's just this one thanks @mrsgiveitago. The other two you posted have been removed by the moderation team. 

Thanks,

Jason

Hi @Jason I have not received a response to my two topics and was hoping to do this work tomorrow please?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mrsgiveitago 

My apologies for the late reply. Due to your height requirements, you will need to double up the Cyclone 250mm x 3.2m Corrugated Garden Edging. You can join them together by using a Craftright Rivet Gun Set. Put the Garden Edging on top of one another and have them overlap by 30mm. Drill pilot holes on both Garden Edging panels and use rivets to join them together. This will now give you the height that you need to hold the soil back.

Please note that the Garden Edging will need to be supported from the back to keep it upright. I suggest using 900mm Hardwood Garden Stake - 6 Pack. However, if the timber posts are not strong enough to hold the soil back you will have to use Whites 90cm Premium Black Ultrapost.  I've placed a sample diagram below for you to look at. If you have any questions about it or need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

mrsg1.jpgmrsg2.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects