Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Protecting treated pine cuts

Harv
Building a Reputation

Protecting treated pine cuts

I’m building a deck and have been using treated pine so far I have been coatings my cuts with a protective spray on joists and bearers,now I am on to the decking boards do I need to recoat the ends of the boards I cut,The spray I use is darker green to the timber will it show through the stain or oil I use

Thankyou Harv

Re: Protecting treated pine cuts

@arian10daddy,

From the manufacturer's specifications, it appears the TWA Woodcare 300g Ecoseal Tanalised Timber Treatment, after a few weeks aging, would be a good colour match for the Ironwood 200 x 75mm 1.2m Classic Treated Pine Sleepers. The only sleepers it would stand out on drastically would be the Sienna range which has a distinctly orangy brown colouring.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Your link to the H4 timber doesn't lead me to the item. It brings me to a generic landing page for Bunnings. Anyhow, I am considering https://www.bunnings.com.au/200-x-75mm-2-4m-h4-treated-pine-sleeper_p8500180 possibly cut to required lengths. I'll keep your suggestion in mind for sealing the cut ends. Thanks for your help.

@arian10daddy, It's a discrepancy between our locations and what is supplied to that area. I presume the link you have just supplied is of a green coloured sleeper and the spray will be a close match.

We look forward to hearing about your project once you get started. Please let us know if you need assistance with it and we encourage you to start a discussion if you'd like to share.

Mitchell

Hi,

I'm looking at using the Sienna sleepers for a retaining wall and garden edging and am looking for a treatment for both exposed cuts and underground cuts. I have used the Diggers Eco in ground Protecta product for inground but it's too dark a colour for above ground use. 

Is there a clear product I can use? Thanks in advance.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @PeeVee. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question. 

There is the TWA Woodcare 300g Ecoseal Tanalised Timber Treatment which is a spray-on H5 treatment product. The manufacturer specifies that the product will initially be green then fade to a green/brown over a  few weeks. There is also a clear H3 aerosol timber preserver that can be special ordered into stores. The product is called Koppers End Seal by RLA and its part number is 999704. This product is an H3 treatment and will not restore your sleeper to the original H4 treatment. It will likely assist in protecting the timber but is not suitable for constant moisture saturation.

I am not aware of any product which we can order that is clear and will treat the timber to an H4 level.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

Lawzy
Cultivating a Following

I’m wanting to reseal the ends of H3 treated pine being used for a railing on a cubby house. The rail will then be painted. Following this thread, I can’t locate any of the Bunnings products referenced for the job. Can anyone assist? Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Lawzy. It's terrific to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

It looks like Tanalised 300g Clear Enseal Timber Treatment has replaced the previous products mentioned in this discussion. It is perfect for sealing the end cuts on above ground H3 treated timber.

I trust our community members would be interested in checking out your cubby house project if you were interested in sharing it with us. Please let us know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

Lawzy
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Mitchell. Here is the cubby house project. I’m just about to replace the railings with the H3 timber for better weather residence (in hind sight). 

98D1DCF0-DD61-4F4F-A17A-8A7581BABD4E.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Lawzy,

Is this cubby home-built or a kit product which you are retrofitting with H3 timber?

Mitchell

Lawzy
Cultivating a Following

Built from scratch Mitchell. I didn’t use H3 and now retrofitting the railing.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects