Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Re-surfacing pebblecrete

JRRed
Building a Reputation

Re-surfacing pebblecrete

Front porch westFront porch westIMG_5669.JPGLast year I posted that I had had my pebblecrete pool completely re-surfaced.  (See my first post for before and after).

Now I would like to get my front porch, which is also pebblecrete, resurfaced.  I have had some quotes to have it skimmed with concrete but they seem very expensive. 

The porch is undercover and buts up to a grey concrete drive.  As I would like to paint my driveway dark grey again, I thought a matching concrete porch would be nice.  

Is there a product I could use to re-finish the pebblecrete?  I was thinking maybe something like a paving paint.

Does it need to be sealed first?  I am really clueless when it comes to DIY but I'm willing to have a go at it.

Thanks for all your help in the past.

SuseMck
Cultivating a Following

Re: Re-surfacing pebblecrete

Are the liquidstone products self levelling? I'm wanting to resurface my bathroom floor which is currently pebbles/river stones with relatively large grouted spaces in between. I need a product that won't self level for the shower floor. Currently in the process of replacing grout and considering doing a liquidstone layer on top.

IMG_20200608_200807.jpg

 Thanks, Susan

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community Susan (@SuseMck). It's great that you've joined us and many thanks for your question.

Are you planning on covering over the pebbles completely and want to use the Liquid Stone product for a finishing coat or do you want to use the Liquid Stone to fill in between the pebbles to raise the grouting height?

Mega Treat has advised that if the product is applied over the pebbles it will be difficult to remove the excess from them due to the acrylic binders included. Liquid Stone has a maximum coat thickness of 2mm per coat. There is a textured primer coat available from Mega Treat through special orders which is designed for filling in between pebbles and can be laid in thicker coats. The Liquid Sandstone can then be applied over the top as a finishing coat.

The Liquid Stone can be used in the shower recess as it is not self-levelling and is applied with a brush or trowel. You will need to apply a top coat of a clear acrylic sealer to protect the Liquid Sandstone.

Please let me know if you need further information or had any questions about the process.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SuseMck
Cultivating a Following

Cheers Mitchell. Super helpful!

If we decide to go ahead, I'll go with the primer to boost the grout height and go from there. Thanks heaps.

SuseMck
Cultivating a Following

What does this feel like under bare feet? Considering using in my bathroom and hubby is concerned about the "sandpaper feel". Thanks @JRRed 

Susan

JRRed
Building a Reputation

mmmm.... had to take my uggies off and try it for myself.  Have to agree with hubby on this one.... way too sandpapery for my liking.

You may find this video clip that I watched a couple of days ago helpful...

https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/paint/how-to-paint/transform-your-floors-with-dulux-renovatio...

Hope this helps.  

.... Actually I transformed my bathroom a couple of years ago with only a few changes and about $2000.00.

I changed the tapware, replaced the framed shower screen (3 section sliding door) for frameless single swing door and re-painted.  Didn't replace any of the tiles.

It looks a million bucks.  It means I can put off a complete make-over for quite a few years.  Just doing those simple things has caused several people to ask if I have renovated my bathroom.  Go chrome, it looks very contemporary.

SuseMck
Cultivating a Following

@JRRed thanks heaps. Definitely looks like a better option at first glance, off to read more. Really appreciate the help :smile:

@JRRed 

What product did you end up using?

John

Hi MitchellMc

Did you find out what product JJred used to cover his pebblecrete, as i need to do the same...? :smile:

John

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jvs043. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

@JRRed showed interest in the Megatreat products I mentioned but never officially got back to us on what they used. The products linked are suitable for this purpose, so if you are looking for an option there is certainly one available. Hopefully @JRRed can update us on what they ended up using.

We look forward to following along with your project and hearing about what others you have around the house and garden. We'd encourage you to let us know anytime you need assistance or had something to share. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration on the site as our creative members are posting their projects here every day.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi there... also keen to cover my pebble Crete, but need to know if it’s suitable for to use on a driveway?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects