Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Rear deck area revamp

wooshka
Making a Splash

Rear deck area revamp

Thought it was about time to add some more pics of reno's being done in our old house.

the original deck had a poorly constructed railing around it, we live in a high rainfall area and normal steel nails were used for the railing so after about 3 years it was falling apart (from the previous owners)

We also did like the cross rail design as we have grand kids and there is a high likely hood of them falling through

The only way to get down into the back yrad was via the north end down some piddly steps 

I removed all the old timber rails and cleaned them up for reuse as much as possible

used some 40x40 LOSP for the vertical posts.

The i build some steps in the middle to access the games room we restored (in a previous post)

The north end also is wear the weather comes in so makes it unusable if its raining 

I was able to source some nice doors cheap and we the build a wall with second hand windows also

IMG_20190428_114046.jpg

IMG_20170506_102416638_HDR.jpgIMG_20170506_102434174_HDR.jpgIMG_20200308_133030.jpgIMG_20190114_123319.jpgIMG_20191006_163113.jpgNorthern endNorthern endIMG_20200120_123300.jpgIMG_20200126_084204.jpgIMG_20200126_121750.jpgIMG_20200531_153120.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Rear deck area revamp

Hi @wooshka,

What a fantastic transformation you have created! I love what you did with adding the window and doors to stop poor weather coming onto the deck. The doors and windows actually look like they were custom made for that space, it is awesome that they were second hand. 

Looking forward to seeing what else you have been up to. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@wooshka 

Wooooo Love the weather break idea! It certainly lifts the patio area up a notch or two! Also the width of your middle steps. I always think of smaller width ones (purely functional in my thinking) but these really expand the outlook. Definently something to file away and reuse :smile:

Dave

Hi @Dave-1 , we enjoy it alot more now that we can use it mostly all year.

the smaller steps went down to nowhere before so my wife had the idea of the larger steps that were not that expensive to build , about $250.00 off memory they lead down to the old shed we did up

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@wooshka 

Everytime I go to Bunnings I wander over and look at the stair stringers. I have ideas for my front steps and want to build a larger version :smile: I like the thinking of a small increase in the cost and a much more substantial look is achieved.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects