Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Removing nails from hardwood joists

SuseMck
Cultivating a Following

Removing nails from hardwood joists

Need to pick your brains! I'm in the process of flipping our deck boards and have a dilemma. For nails that have not come out of the hardwood joists, I've just lopped them off with an angle grinder and flattened with a hammer.

Our gas meter sits alongside our deck within 20cm. Any suggestions for getting those ones out? I have recently had the regulator replaced so it is in the best condition I can get, but even so ....... Angle grinder + gas = 💣

Upper body strength is not great so I struggle with a lot of the nail puller tools as they are just too short. I have a mumme reno bar (not great though) but not enough clearance between nail and gas meter.

My eyebrows (and entire house) thank you in anticipation.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Removing nails from hardwood joists

Hello @SuseMck 

Welcome to the Bunnings workshop community. May I suggest using a Trojan 250mm Nail Puller this type of nail puller can be lightly tapped in to the wood to grab the head of the nail and levered out. You can use a timber mallet or a piece of timber to use as a hammer if you are worried about sparks.  Next is the Hart 254mm Permagrip Nail Puller This puller has two things going for it, it's head is twisted 180 degrees allowing for increased lean in pulling power. Plus it has a tear drop key hole puller. This allows you to slot the head of the nail in to the tear drop hole and lever the the nail out in either pull or push direction. Last is the Trojan 200mm End Cut Plier This one requires a strong grip but again can be levered to remove the nails out. However it does have a tendency to cut the nail before it is all out so please be aware of this. My only other recommendation is to use a galvanized pipe as an extended handle to the nail pullers to allow you greater leverage when pulling the nail out.  Please keep us updated, if there is anything else we can assist with please post it here on workshop.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I have seen or used over the years.

Locking pliers that have the rounded head.

Multi Grips that also have rounded heads, bit harder to grip but the handles are normally longer giving better leverage.

Putting some scrap wood under the tool if you have to use the pipe method to protect the joist from damage.

Agree with all red has said.

SuseMck
Cultivating a Following

Cheers @Brad and @redracer01  I did see the nail pullers on the website but just wasn't sure. I did try the pipe over my claw hammer - hammer handle was a smidge too wide. Sounds dodgy, but I'll take the pipe with me instore tomorrow. The only other thing I could think of was a hacksaw (which i can control more than my demo saw due to proximity to meter).

Thanks heaps.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SuseMck,

It's great to see you are already receiving some helpful assistance.

Failing the previous solutions working, perhaps you could consider an Ozito 300W Multi Function Tool. The oscillating action enables precision cutting, and the accessories can be attached at different angles, enabling you to operate the tool with ease in confined spaces. You might like to do a test with the different accessories to see which one produces the least amount of sparks, and I'm fairly confident at least one of them won't produce any at all. The included bi-metal blade will function as a mini hacksaw.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SuseMck
Cultivating a Following

Thanks one and all @redracer01  @Brad  @MitchellMc  

I did it!! A combo of reno bar, claw hammer, those rounded plier thingies, another crowbar, a piece of timber removed and screwed back, a scrap bit of timber and quite a few choice expletives got those last few nails out.

Any experienced tradie would have been horrified at my process, but I got it done and my deck revamp is continuing as planned 😀

That's good to hear @SuseMck. Please make sure to post photos as you move forward with your deck revamp. We look forward to seeing more.

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects