Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Rendering a porch

reno_01
Getting Established

Rendering a porch

Porch to be rendered.Porch to be rendered.

Porch to be rendered.  What products are available for a novice. I believe that there a re products now that correct themselves, is this true? What are they if available. I'm on a tight budget hence why I'm doing it myself. I'm repainting the the red bricks only rendering the exposed bits? Any advice appreciated.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Rendering a porch

Hi @reno_01,

Welcome to Workshop. Many thanks for sharing a photo with your post, it will help other members provide more specific advice. But could you please reply and let us know exactly what you plan on rendering? Is it all the brickwork or just the surface of the porch?

Feel free to post on Workshop whenever you need a hand with a project. We have loads of members who are happy to share their knowledge and experience.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Are you sure you need to render @reno_01? Why not just paint?

reno_01
Getting Established

Hi

I was just going to render the exposed porch bits. and refresh the paint on the brick work. 

reno_01
Getting Established

I like the idea of render for a more professional look. I had thought about just painting bu the surface needs to be sealed and a few bit need repairing. Painting was one option I was considering for a quick job. cheers.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @reno_01,

Just checking in to see how this project is progressing. Do you need a hand with anything? 

I thought I would also tag @Branchy249 who might be able to share his experience with rendering a couple of houses. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
reno_01
Getting Established

Hello and thank you for your interest. Unfortunately things a going more slowly than I would like. I've decided to use Nutex in a fine grade was going originally for white, but will now look at "sand" colour not so stark with red brickwork, when I eventually get around to it. Has anyone used this product, is it easy to work with, I believe it can be rolled on, will I need to put a "base coat on first". Thoughts appreciated. I have fascia's, gutters etc to replace and paint as well. As I'm a novice and shift worker and did I mention "novice" :unhappy: , and on a tight budget (basically need to save first before under taking jobs) things are taking longer!!! Trades charge an arm and leg and quore rediculous prices when its a smallish job! I'll post some photos when I get a chance.   Cheers Reno_1 

reno_01
Getting Established

PS: Do I need a hand, Yes, LOL. If you live in SA and can assist, that would be great! I make great coffee and sandwiches! Cheers Reno_1.

Prawns
Becoming a Leader

I had a go at rendering a couple small jobs for the first time not too long ago - Id recommend maybe a bit of practice on somthing else first that you can wash off or that doesnt matter - to practice getting nice edges (especially) and a nice finish. Keep in mind Im a complete noob as well and Ive only done a couple small render jobs so am speaking from the very little experience i have - but my first and second render job - Lets just say Im happy it didnt really matter about a awesome finish or straight edges on those jobs I did lol

If you can "roll on" the product your getting sounds like getting nice clean edges might be alot easier (the edges were my struggle)

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects