Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Repaint the exterior wall

kev_au
Just Starting Out

Repaint the exterior wall

Hi everyone

i am planning to refresh my not very attractive exterior wall/pillar (See attached photo), can someone give me some advice on what product I should use? Much appreciated for your help

39884DB8-01B2-49BC-83BC-0ABF379E50E9.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Repaint the exterior wall

Hi @kev_au,

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're so pleased to have you join in the home improvement discussion and trust that you'll get loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration for all your projects from our clever and creative members. We have amazing members sharing advice and new projects on the site every day. 

It looks from your photo that wall is rendered brick or blueboard. Can you please confirm? Also, are you wanting to match the colour of the render on the second storey of the house? If so, do you know what the colour is? Or are you looking to perhaps change the colour?

Also, do you know what is causing the stains we can see on the photo?

If you could please confirm I would be more than happy to tag members to assist you.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kev_au
Just Starting Out

Thanks for the reply

1.yes I believe it is blueboard 

2. Would like to match the colour, or similar

3. not sure what caused the stain, might be rain water dripping from the metal?

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Have you considered a timber/bamboo/fibre cement/composite cladding to create a feature for that entry way rather than paint @kev_au? It would also overcome the issue of future staining 😊

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kev_au,

I'd suggest that it is possibly due to rust tainted water from the metal and I like @ProjectPete's idea of some type of cladding to disguise it. In answer to your question about what product to use, I can recommend Dulux Weathershield Render Refresh which is designed for this purpose. It is available in a variety of colours and more information can be found about if on the Dulux webpage. In regard to matching the colour, you would either need to take a sample of the render in to be colour matched or go through the available colours in-store and take a few sample pots home with you.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects