Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Repainting garden feature to prevent rust

Emu12345
Just Starting Out

Repainting garden feature to prevent rust

Hi

i have a metal Emu in garden and it’s rusting.  I would like to repaint. Looking for suggestions for paint type and colours.

thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: painting garden feature

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Emu12345. It's fabulous that you have joined us, and many thanks for your question.

You might like to add an image of the emu so our members can see the level of rust and offer appropriate solutions for painting it. 

Generally, you would start by sanding the rusted areas back with 120 grit sandpaper to remove the bulk of the rust before coating those areas with Bondall 250ml Ranex Rustbuster Rust Converter. This will bind the rust and prevent it from continuing to corrode the surface.

To paint the emu, apply White Knight Rust Guard Medium Grey Metal Primer Paint to all surfaces, followed by White Knight Rust Guard Paint in your preferred colour.

I look forward to seeing the garden statue and following along with your restoration of it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you. Will get to photos etc. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That would be great if you could take some photos @Emu12345. I trust our members will be interested in the process of restoring your garden feature. Reach out if you need further assistance. We're here to help.

Mitchell

kacharash4
Cultivating a Following

Re: Repainting garden feature to prevent rust

Hi Emu1234,

I just recently repainted an outdoor mirror frame which had started to rust out. I used a wire brush drill attachment and painted the worst bits with rust converter. Wiped everything down with sugar soap then used Zinsser Bullseye 123 which is a primer, undercoat and stain blocker. (2coats) Top coated with Semi gloss Dulux Aquanamel (3coats). A light sand in between coats and it came up looking great. The colour I used was Dowager Grey, which I think was a Taubmans colour. The Aquanamel will dry quite quickly, but needs to have time to harden. Preferably after painting final coat, leave in the sun for as long as possible to "bake" it. This might take a few days. Good luck.

Screenshot_20201107-145803.png

MVIMG_20201115_114823.jpg

 Before and after 

Re: Repainting garden feature to prevent rust

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kacharash4. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for contributing to the discussion.

It's always wonderful to hear of first-hand experiences from our talented members. Your restoration looks amazing. Well done.

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden and would encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or have something to share. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration within the community for your projects as our creative members contribute their ideas here all the time.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects