Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Restoring outdoor table and chairs

GailC
Finding My Feet

Restoring outdoor table and chairs

We have cleaned, sanded and used Cabots Deck Clean on our outdoor setting.  Perhaps we went too far with the sanding but having purchased 4 lt. of Aquadeck Merbau we are finding it is not covering the wood as we expected.  The first coat is done but it is looking very patchy and mottled and we are wondering if more coats will cover the problem or do we need another paint/stain product.  We are concerned to do too much more and then be told we need to remove all the Aquadeck.

Chair.jpg  

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Restoring outdoor table and chairs

Welcome to Workshop @GailC.

Our wonderful community members would be more than happy to assist, but could we please trouble you for some photos so we can see how the setting looks? Please let me know if you need a hand with uploading some photos. 

We trust that you'll receive loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our clever and creative members as you browse and contribute to the community. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
GailC
Finding My Feet

Hi Jason,

I have tried to post my photo, but having trouble.   Is there a trick to doing this?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

No trick @GailC. Just hit the Upload Images button and then select your photo. 

Alternatively, feel free to email it to workshop@workshop.com.au and I will add it for you.

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Workshop community @GailC. Many thanks for your question, I'm happy to assist with it.

The Aquadeck Merbau Decking Oil which you are using is designed to seal timber from the elements and add a Merbau colouring. In the case of your chairs, I'm noticing a patchy inconsistency in the timber which this product will have trouble disguising. It appears they were heavily weathered and the timber turned grey. Do you think you might have sanded through the weathered top layer on some parts of the chairs and left it in others? This would explain the variance in colour.

You may wish to try a timber cleaning product similar to Intergrain Ultraprep which helps revive furniture from the aged grey look. It won't necessarily fix the patchy appearance but may help mask it. In combination with the cleaner, you could also look at applying a decking stain in a darker colour to try and hide the inconsistency.   

To give a great result, my advice would be to continue sanding the furniture until fresh (non-grey) timber is exposed and there are no patchy areas before applying the decking oil. 

We look forward to you seeing your setting with a fresh coat of oil. Please let me know if you need further information or advice about the process.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @GailC.

Many thanks for sharing a new photo. Now that I can see the furniture in more detail, it is clear there was a dark stain applied on the furniture previously. The above method still applies. I would advise thoroughly sanding the remaining stain off before applying the oil.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell,  this is going to be a much bigger project than we thought.

Steven
Cultivating a Following

As a past cabinetmaker (first trade) my concern is product compatibility with Aquadeck if doing a top coat, even though it says water based cleanup it’s still an oil and will make any other product non compatible.

To do properly you will need to remove all traces of previous stain (sanding) and Aquadeck to reveal all wood grain and a blemish free surface, then wash with acrylic thinners to remove any trace of oil while using suitable PPE if you are going to use an alternative finish.

Thank you Steven for your solution to our outdoor table setting problem.  We are going to do much more sanding now.

r23on
Amassing an Audience

there is another method to clean / remove the stain with no damage to the timber 

get a hold of a sand blasting unit throw away the sand and use bicarb soda no environmental issues but good PPE is advised there are plenty of youtube tutorials  

i have found the gravity fed gun to be the better one to use 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects