Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Shade Area

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Shade Area

image.jpg

I need to add/ attach shade cloth from the house to retaining wall. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Shade Area

Hi @Former Workshop member,

Welcome to Workshop and my apologies for the slow reply. 

Could you please provide a little more detail about your project and what you need assistance with so our ever-helpful members can provide specific advice? We have clever and creative members sharing helpful advice and inspiration on the site every day, so I'm sure the community would be more than happy to help. 

Questions to answer might include whether you want this to be a permanent addition, what the purpose of the shade cloth is (for the plants or to help reduce heat inside the house?) and any considerations related to your location such as strong winds. 

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

I would like a permanent shade hose type of construction to shade my plants

Thanks for the extra detail @Former Workshop member.

Let me tag the ever-helpful @Brad who might like to kick off the discussion with how we would attack this project. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

@Former Workshop member 

Thinking is shade cloth classed as a roof?

If you have no permit issues then you have some choices.

PVC pressure pipe, cheap will allow for curves to be made and I think you can get clips for shade cloth for pipes on the downside the pipes can sag on long runs.

Galv water pipe less likely to sag but hard to curve and to put together.

Metal tube with plastic connectors, easier than water pipe to make but the weak point is the plastic joiners.

Shade sail with post and rail/s might be the best looking option but likely the most expensive and you have limited choices on size of the sail unless you go custom made.

Welded frame I could but it is summer so why would I want to?

I would opt to leave the ends open if it is just shade you want and not a green house effect, given the slope on the wall and it's construction it would be hard to make neat looking ends.

Bit late but I hope it helps

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects