Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Shed Wall Cladding with Engineered Flooring

Wayne
Becoming a Leader

Shed Wall Cladding with Engineered Flooring

As I have become more and more involved (obsessed) with my woodworking hobby in retirement my working environment continues to evolve. My workshop is a single shed measuring 18' x 12' with a tilt a door and a side entry door. It is difficult to hang or mount anything with just the iron sheet walls and standard wood and steel frame. My other obsession is looking out for tools and building materials via the Gumtree Classifieds and online Auction sites. I was fortunate in obtaining about 20 boxes of engineered flooring from a TAFE closure at Marleston at auction for about $30. My initial plan was to use this for general woodworking project building but it is very difficult to work with, PVA wood glue doesn't adhere well, air brad nails just bounce off and you can destroy a drill bit after drilling two holes. So it just sat under the carport for months. I was sitting in the shed pondering one day (as one does) when it struck me that it could be useful for cladding the shed! I did some quick measuring and it was almost the perfect size using it horizontally.
shedclearout2.jpg

shedclearout1.jpg

shedclearout3.jpg
I cleared away everything out of the way at the back end of the shed (that was a mammoth task in itself)
shedclearout4.jpg
I had about a cubic metre of this treated pine batten I bought at auction for $12.50 and it was an ideal length to span between the wooden shed rafters. It didn't have to look pretty it was never going to be seen. The engineered flooring panels just need the end tongues sawn off and was then the perfect width, these panels are very strong and rigid so I only screwed them on each end, they lock together the same as they would if used as flooring.
shedclearout5.jpg
You are going to get sick of me talking about my auction buys, but I bought an auction lot of Aluminium Extrusion and what appeared to be office work station aluminium panels for around $20, anyway I didn't know until I collected it but there were 16 double power outlets (non switched) mounted to these panels!
shedclearout6.jpg
On the left hand wall I used 2 sheets of 19mm MDF.
shedclearout7.jpg

shedclearout8.jpg

Shed 2 22_11_15.jpg
The wall cladding was done in Sepetember 2014, this last photo was taken in November 2015 and is pretty much the same now. With such a small workspace I have made mobile bases for most machines and tables, I just wheel out into space what I want to use then park it back after.

Wood Working with Wayne
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: Shed Wall Cladding with Engineered Flooring

I love your fit out, that cladding looks amazing.

One thing though, we need to collaborate, for I too check out on-line auctions like eBay, Evans & Clark, also Gumtree has come in handy quite a few times.

I am in Paralowie, SA where are you?

Wood Working with Wayne
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Woodville North, SA.

Ross's Auction in Perth is also a great place to pick up a bargain. I've been getting stuff from their for years.
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I done my apreticeship there at Tecalemit and live in Woodville Gardens.

I have 2 sheds to eventualy line.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Brad

Small world, I know Tecalemit, it's about a 5 minute walk from our home, Woodville Gardens is the other side of Hanson Road, with 4th Avenue pretty much aligning with our street. : )

Daves880
Cultivating a Following

Excellent mate, as a newly obsessed hobbyist I gleaned heaps from your post, thanks, Dave

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Having read about the troubles of nailing and drilling engineered floorboards I have found not all are created equal. I have used some that will take air brads and being drilled but resist traditional nailing.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great to see you join the discussion @Daves880. I'm sure @Wayne appreciates the positive feedback.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. I'm sure you will find there's plenty of inspiration to be found on the site for your projects, and lots of good advice. I'm looking forward to reading about your projects and plans.

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects