Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Slow food

AHoy
Having an Impact

Slow food

I’ve always had a gas BBQ but would love to try slow cooking and maybe even smoking meat. Pulled pork, ribs, slow-cooked lamb, maybe even bacon? But I’m not really sure where to start. Can anyone suggest a cheap way to get into it? Would a cheap kettle barbie be OK? I’ve heard the Kamado chargrillers are amazing, but I’d hate to invest in one and then find it was all a bit too hard. The holidays seem like a good time to try, though.  

Tony

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Slow food

In the collection.
Hark Electric Smoker
Cadac Kettle
Yum Cha mini rotisserie
Beefeater Sportzgrill
Twin wok burner
Gasmate Pizza Oven

Inside is a Sous Vide from Sunbeam it gets used to pre cook meat to get finished over coals.

Google snake method for slow kettle cooking.

Lamb shanks would be my favourite slow cooked food.
AHoy
Having an Impact

Wow @Brad, that is quite the collection! What do you do in the smoker?

Tony

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Lamb shanks
Ribs
Mushrooms with bacon and cheese.
Hot smoked Salmon
Damper
Stuffed capsicums and eggplant
Jalapeno poppers
Dried apricots, bananas and chillies

You can do a version of Hogsbreath steak, I have done it via water bath and BBQ.
Scottyw
Growing in Experience

I'm hungry now...

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

If you have nothing to do tomorrow.

barbequesgalore lownslowdemo

For Adelaide people

http://adelaidebeerfest.com.au/

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Brad

If you're willing to be the designated driver, I'll pay for petrol, & as a bonus, I'll throw in free parking at Adelaide Showgrounds Farmers market on Sunday. : P

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

@Andy_Mann I am stuck being a passenger these days.

Managed a couple of free snags today and did a tour of Mile End's goodies.
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Brad, all good mate, I wimped out of going to the Showgrounds Growers Market this morning anyways, not a good hair day. : P

MoonshineBen
Making a Splash

Hey Tony - be warned, smoking (meat) is highly addictive. I've been doing the low and slow BBQ thing for a while now, and it's something I try and do every weekend. 

I cure and smoke bacon every couple of weeks, as well as beef, chicken, pork. You can mix up your own rubs to try on the meats (plenty of recipes online) or buy them (also plenty online). If you're looking for inspiration, check out Instagram, there's some amazing BBQ happening on there.

Definiltey kick off with a kettle or a cheap smoker (but not too cheap - the heat peeled the powder coat off my first one after about a dozen uses), and the recommednations for having a look on Gumtree are good, there's some bargains to be had.

Good luck!

Happiness is a full smoker - moonshinebbq.com.au
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

I forgot to mention purpose built smoke generators before, they're a way of dipping your toes into glorious smoke flavours, & they're extremely versatile.
Check out this "Smokai" :

http://www.smokai.com/

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects