Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Soccer passing wall/board

rbangy
Finding My Feet

Soccer passing wall/board

Hello all,

I am looking to build a soccer passing wall/board as shown in the image below.

I searched the forum and found only one other post but what I want is slightly different.

I am aware that I will need to use 18mm plywood (structural or something else?) but have no clue beyond that. Can I get some help please on -

1. Bunnings closest to me does straight cuts but I am not sure where I can get angled cuts done.

2. Any suggestions on materials like hinges etc are most welcome.

My apologies if I am asking basic questions but I am a total newbie. Thanks in advance!

board.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Soccer passing wall/board

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rbangy. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

Please don't ever apologise for asking questions as that's what we are here for.

From what I can see they have used a solid piece of timber close to 240 x 45mm MGP10 Untreated Pine Timber Framing - Linear Metre. I don't believe the angled cuts are necessary for the unit to function correctly. If you were to have the front and sides cut in-store you could use a handsaw or jigsaw or circular saw to cut the angled sides yourself.

The hardware appears to be a couple of Pinnacle 250mm Zinc-Plated Heavy-Duty Tee Hinges, a case handle and a cabin hook.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

And it needs to be heavy - ?

Thank you!, @MitchellMc 

The MGP10 Untreated Pine is 240mm in height and I wanted something around 400mm. Do you reckon this is a good alternative - 405-x-18mm-1-8m-pine-utility-panel_p0019147

Thank you!

@Noyadethanks for the response. No, it doesn't have to be heavy. It has to be sturdy enough to withstand a soccer ball being hit against it constantly.

Thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@rbangy,

I believe you could use 405 x 18mm 1.8m Pine Utility Panel as an alternative. What you are not going to get with the 18mm thick timber is such a good return of the ball. To put it in soccer terms, you know when you really connect with the ball towards goal and it hits the cross member or posts and ricochets back into the field even further than where you took the shot from? That's because the goals are solid and most of the force you applied gets returned by the goal posts. The 18mm thick timber will return the ball to you but not with the same amount of force with which you sent it.

To counteract this you could install Pinnacle 4mm Stainless Steel Wire Eye Straps along the base where it touches the ground. You can then insert tent pegs to hold it firmly to the ground. This might not be necessary but would certainly assist.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects