Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Solar Panel bird prevention

Squid
Finding My Feet

Solar Panel bird prevention

Is there a product to prevent birds getting under the panels?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Solar Panel bird prevention

Hello @Squid

Thank you for sharing your question about preventing birds from getting under your solar panels.

I suggest using the Saxon 180mm x 8.0m Black Plastic Gutter Guard to cover the gap between the panel and the roof. I also recommend using the Whites 250 x 110 x 70mm Stainless Steel Pest Control Bird, Spike in combination with the Gutter Guard. Please remember to take into consideration that any modifications made to the solar panel assembly could void its warranty, check with your provider before proceeding. Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your solar panels protected.

Let me tag our experienced member @tom_builds for his recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tom_builds
Making a Splash

Re: Solar Panel bird prevention

Hi @Squid ,

Unfortunately i haven't worked with a roof that has solar panels on it so not 100% familiar with how they are set up.

I have installed some of those fake owls that people use to keep birds off of their roofs and they seem to work to varying degrees depending on the type of bird that is causing the problem (they seem to have worked well on seagulls, whereas not at all for crows).

I imagine @EricL's suggestions would do the job, particularly if you're only worried about them being under the solar panels. 

Best of luck!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects