Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Suggestions wanted for painting 1970s brick house exterior

sahar
Finding My Feet

Suggestions wanted for painting 1970s brick house exterior

20200108_141002.jpg

 moving to our house in a week and there are lots of jobs I want to do myself because of tight budget. 

Red bricks are not my thing so defiently want to paint exterior walls and patio floors first thing. 

Can I have suggestions on patio floor paints and outdoor brick paints. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Suggestions wanted for painting 1970s brick house exterior

Hi @sahar,

Welcome to Workshop. Apologies for the slow reply but I'm sure our helpful members will be happy to assist. Let me tag a few members who might like to kick off the discussion for you. @MartyH@ProjectPete@Tara86@Mathy 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sahar
Finding My Feet

Thanks for help. Looking forward fpr suggestions. 

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Hi @sahar - congrats on your new home, it’s always exciting, sometimes a bit daunting!

For your brickwork you can use an exterior paint. This is somewhere I do recommend buying a quality paint, as it’s a big job, and you do NOT wanting to be doing again in a hurry, trust me :smile: Stay away from “trade” paints and buy Dulux, British, Taubmans, Wattyl if that’s available near you. NOTE: the first 3 available at Bunnings. Make sure you do surface prep - good wash down, fill where necessary. You’ll need 3 coats, because the first is a primer - which is going to be tedious to put on - due to the rough surface. The final 2 should be easier. Also, you will get less square meterage for the first coat. Other than that, follow the instructions and all should go well.

What’s the patio made of? Concrete or is it tiled. Makes a difference for paint suggestions, cheers Deb

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

I'm assuming your patio is concrete @sahar? If so, you want something like this https://www.whiteknightpaints.com.au/products/paving/white-knight-ultra-pave/

Take a photo so we can confirm. 

Deb has given great advice about painting the brickwork. Don't skimp on the preparation work - you want to make sure the bricks and in particular the mortar is not crumbly so the paint can adhere and stay there. https://www.dulux.com.au/how-to/preparation-and-painting-guides/exterior/how-to-render-brick-and-cem...

Note that if you are looking for a smooth surface you need to render. But that is a more difficult job and personally I like the texture of the brickwork. 

@Mathy 

Yes my patio is concrete and it has terracota paint. 

Looking forward to your suggestion now.

sahar
Finding My Feet

@MartyH 

Thank you so much for detailed reply.

I will surely keep your advice on mind. 

My patio is concrete. Front patio is painted in terracota color and I hate it. 

Back patio is just concrete.

marikaknows
Having an Impact

We are currently doing ours, we are bagging it first because we have a home with really wide mortar joints. I’ve just done a video of that process which I’ll post below.

But for paint, so far we have done inside brick walls and we used Dulux Weathershield Masonry Matt (which I believe is now called Weathershield Maxi Flex but double check that lists masonry as an appropriate surface still). You’ll also need a primer that can be used on masonry/brick specifically and we used Taubmans 3 in 1 Prep. 

So far so good inside it’s been a year since we did that. Just doing outside now. 

This is our bagging process:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CF1V8giHV-m/?igshid=sa0me30f27e3

Marika | MARIKA KNOWS THINGS
www.marikaknows.com | @marikaknowsthings on Instagram, Facebook & TikTok

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects