Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Sunken firepit and BBQ

Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Sunken firepit and BBQ

Firepit.jpg

Bought my first (and probably only) house a couple of years ago and it needed a good yard cleanup (amongst alot of other stuff lol)

I discovered some old water mains cutoffs that I didnt know what to do with underneath "the jungle" behind the back sheds, and I always wanted a firepit / wood BBQ - so I worked out somthing just with what I had laying around. I just laid the pipe on the ground sitting upright, and started using the shovel around the outside of the pipe to make sure I got a nice circle

I also made a dodgy cover so somebody doesnt fall in, and i can just mow over the top (its already actually saved a small car from falling in also lol - dont skip the cover)

I was a little worried about airflow for the fire (its 60cm+ belowground) and was prepared to install a "breather" metal pipe from the bottom of the firepit to ground level if required to allow airflow to the bottom  - but it didnt seem like it was required after trying it out a few times
sadf.JPG

IMG_20180710_090610.jpgIMG_20180710_095952.jpgIMG_20180710_101401.jpgIMG_20180710_103234.jpgIMG_20180710_114132.jpgIMG_20180710_191113.jpgIMG_20180711_202013.jpgIMG_20180714_180140.jpgIMG_20180712_150247.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Sunken Firepit/BBQ

Hey @Prawns,

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a great project - fire pits are always popular with the Workshop community! We look forward to reading about some of your other projects and plans. 

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the community. It's fantastic to have you join us. Feel free to post whenever you have something to share or need a hand. And please let me know if you ever need help getting the most from the site or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SamanthaJ
Getting Established

Re: Sunken firepit and BBQ

Hey @Prawns thank you so much!! I have been trying to visualise how to create my backyard fire pit. I purchased one of those cheap fancy put from @Bunnings last winter and have been using it in the front yard, but it ruined my not so perfect lawn...All I need now is someone to dig the put hehe  

Senator
Getting Established

Re: Sunken firepit and BBQ

Awesome job mate thanks for the idea, my above ground is now going below ground !! Cheers 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects