Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

The Hen House

wovenpaua
Cultivating a Following

The Hen House

I’ve been a pattern maker and dressmaker for most of my life, albeit expertise came with age so building a chook house was just like pattern making and garment construction on steroids. I thought, “if I can design and make a wedding dress or a suit I should be able to build a chook house”. So I did.

I had a few tools left to me after my dad passed away and bought a few extras and borrowed some from my brother, downloaded some plans from the internet and headed to Bunnings with my list of materials. 
I love my chook house just as much as my Chooks do, I think!

Now onto my next project. 

6F38E6BE-1845-44C4-9ACB-14D88C5FC4BF.jpeg

06A53C64-A568-4FED-A03B-8B69D9194BFB.jpeg

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: The Hen House

If I was a chook this would be like a Byron Bay mansion! Love the red color! Excellent build!

Cheers 

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

OMG I love your beautiful chicken coop !!! I’m sure your girls love it too !!! This is amazing 🤩 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @wovenpaua. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for sharing your project.

That is an awe-inspiring first project to share, and I hope the start of a new D.I.Y. passion for you. The design is fantastic, and as @redracer mentioned, the colour is perfect.

We look forward to seeing what your next project will be and can't wait to see what you'll contribute to the community.

Well done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Wow looks great!

I have a ramp similar to that for my chooks  - I attached mine using a door hinge (which allows me to lift the ramp for cleaning or whatever)
I notice you have one end of the ramp on a tyre, is that to reduce the incline the chooks walk down? if they slide a little bit when walking on the ramp - grab some wood glue and smear it all over the ramp, then chuck clean sand at it before it dries (and allow to dry before putting back in)  My chooks seemed much more confident using their ramp with a nice grippy surface and it allowed a steeper incline :smile: 

Love your work that looks fantastic well done :smile: 

Aussie-Garden
Becoming a Leader

What a fantastic job @wovenpaua! Very well done. 👍

I hope to make a couple of new homes for my girls when the budget allows and your awesome work has me itching to do it as soon as I can now.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects