Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Trailer Cover

muzza_niko
Getting Established

Trailer Cover

How & what can I cover our high caged trailer with, we tried tarps, ratchets & tie downs, tarp rips. Every time we take it off, to put large items in trailer. Must be removable roof. Costs us alot, everytime we use trailer.

Currently we have a double bed frame on roof with no cover.

We would like recommendation, trailer companies claim short staff & pandemic issues.

Screenshot_20201109-160607_Photos.jpg

20210430_172014.jpg

20210430_172005.jpg

  

20201006_152809.jpg

20200412_131345.jpg

20200412_131354.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Trailer Cover

Hello @muzza_niko

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about your trailer cover.

I recommend a change of material to canvas for example Heavy Duty Canvas Tarp Tarpaulin 8' x 10' 16oz Waterproof Green. You can also use heavy-duty vinyl tarps available online. Regular tarps are not strong enough to withstand strong winds when running on the motorway.

Let me tag our experienced members @tom_builds and TedBear for their recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tom_builds
Making a Splash

Hi @muzza_niko welcome to the Workshop community,

Canvas is probably the way forward as @EricL has suggested. As for having a cover that is easy to take on and off with a removable roof, you're best option would be a customer cover with zipped sides. If trailer companies are giving you the run around, you could try going direct to a canvas producer and they may be able to produce something for you. 

If that's not an option, I would look at using a system where three sides of the trailer are always covered in a canvas cover, with two separate canvas covers for the rear and the roof that can be removed when the trailer is being filled and then replaced. This will save you from having to unwrap the whole trailer everytime you want to use it.

Keep us updated with your project progress, and best of luck!

Thinking about buying this 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/wagner-3-65-x-5-48m-heavy-duty-canvas-drop-sheet_p1663203

& tieing it up with

This

https://www.bunnings.com.au/grunt-6mm-x-30m-reflective-rope_p4310562

Cheaper & stronger then our usual tarps we use, what do use think, will it hold all weather conditions.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @muzza_niko

Thank you for giving us an update on your search for a good trailer cover.

The Wagner 3.65 x 5.48m Heavy Duty Canvas Drop Sheet is an excellent cover sheet for inside residential use only. I'm sorry but it has no UV or weather-resistant features that will make it last out in the open. This product has a plastic membrane sewn into the back of the canvas to provide superior shielding against paint spills and stains. It will not last against harsh wind and weather.

I strongly recommend exploring the option of getting a custom-made cover for your trailer. It may be more than you wish to spend, but it is a worthwhile investment. The benefits of strength, toughness, and the ability to withstand harsh wind and weather are all in that one cover.

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your trailer covered and secure from the weather.

Eric

muzza_niko
Getting Established

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @muzza_niko

The Polytuf 3.6 x 5.5m Heavy Duty Tarpaulin looks promising. However, you may run into the same issues as mentioned before. It is rated for outside use but strong wind, while the trailer is moving, may tear it apart. If you were to use it only as a cover when at home then it should work. But if you use it while it is moving, the Tarpaulin will not last.

Eric

muzza_niko
Getting Established

20210727_160457.jpg

20210727_160511.jpg

20210727_160523.jpg

20210727_160550.jpg

20210727_160557.jpg

20210727_160603.jpg

20210727_160704.jpg

muzza_niko
Getting Established

Finish project until a local Trailer Warehouse contacts me, to modify Caged Trailer to Box Trailer, with removable roof, if not high roof.

20210823_114459.jpg

20210823_114507.jpg

20210823_114524.jpg

20210823_114533.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @muzza_niko

Thank you for the update. That should keep your trailer protected in the meantime. We look forward to seeing the trailer once it has been modified. 

Please keep us updated.

Eric 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects