Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Type of sail shade and tips to install

Thierry
Building a Reputation

Type of sail shade and tips to install

Hi

I have got an outdoor deck, 3x4 m - see photo. Left size is sun facing west.

Would like to cover it during summer and I thought a sail shade may be the cheapest option.

Can someone please suggest what type , size , orientation , how the sail shade should be installed? Also where to install post?

I will see if i can do the job myself if its not hard , otherwise I will look for a tradie.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Many thanks

Thierry

IMG20211227140720.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: type of sail shade and tips to install

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Thierry. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing shade sails.

You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to install a shade sail. Here's a discussion on the subject: How to erect a shade sail? It contains some great information, especially surrounding the need for professional installation.

You'll likely be looking for a square 5m x 5m shade sail. Depending on when you are most likely to use the area will affect the orientation. If it's at midday, then the sail would be positioned directly above, but if it's in the morning or afternoon, perhaps you'd like to angle the sail towards the East or West.

Don't rule out a large cantilever umbrella, though. They can provide close to the same amount of shade as a sail and more if they are re-positioned to block out the sun throughout the day. For example, this Coolaroo 3 x 4m Charcoal Brampton Cantilever Umbrella has a span of 3 x 4 metres. This Coolaroo 5.4 x 5.4m Graphite Square Commercial Grade Shade Sail is 5.4 x 5.4 metres from the shackles. It does not provide 5.4 x 5.4 metres of shade. It's actually more like 4 x 4 metres in a fixed location. So, in my opinion, the umbrella would be a better choice purely because you can angle it to block the sun more adequately.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
carpedion
Cultivating a Following

This is all great information. Out of interest, what do you recommend if you're wanting a waterproof solution? 

You might like to consider some of these pre-fabricated pergola options @carpedion. All the non-fabric varieties will be waterproof.

Mitchell

Thierry
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell

Thanks for the advice.

Regarding “ Coolaroo 3 x 4m Charcoal Brampton Cantilever Umbrella

1. Do you have other umbrellas that will suit my deck?
  2. Does  it tilt up and down ? for sun facing west
  3. Does it occupy lots of space in the deck if it stands in the middle of the deck (4x3m) as it can limit number of seats?
  4. Does it need to have the base purchased separately in order  to function properly?

I note that the legs of the deck are slightly uneven.

Also, I am having a look at Gazebo – What’s your view on that? Is it suitable for my deck? Which one will you recommend. Please see attached more photos of the outdoor  layout.

Thanks

Thierry

IMG20220103162455.jpgIMG20220103170642.jpgIMG20220103184245.jpgIMG20220103162450.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

We have a whole range of umbrellas you could use on your deck @Thierry. I selected the Brampton as it is a cantilever and has the largest size canopy at 3m x 4m. It does tilt up and down for angle adjustment. A cantilever umbrellas stand is off to one side, freeing up space in the middle of the deck. See the image below. They include the base in the kit.

A Gazebo would be another suitable option. The choice of which one you go for likely has mostly to do with budget and taste. You'll need something that either goes on the 3 x 4m deck or that is larger and gets fixed to the ground. Anything larger than the deck will be impeded by the current awnings post. You'll need to look at the semi-permanent options as the non-permanent ones can't be left up all the time.

Mitchell

+1 to the suggestion of a cantilever umbrella @Thierry. My in-laws have a huge one on their deck and it's brilliant. At their previous place they paid a fortune for a louvered roof over their alfresco area but the umbrella is better because you can move it around according to where the sun is at different times of the day.  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects