Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Type of saw

glennt
Finding My Feet

Type of saw

Hey, I'm looking to cut lots of treated pine sleepers down to size for a variety of edging around the garden/small retaining walls but I'm unsure the best way to cut them.

I tried cutting 75mm with the 18v AEG 165mm circular saw and it cut out half way through a cut (and the wood smelt like it was burning). Would a bigger circular saw do the trick or is it the wrong kind of saw all together?

The sleepers might have been a bit damp perhaps contributing?

Cheers!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Type of saw

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @glennt. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

The AEG 18V 165mm Li-Ion Cordless Circular Saw has a cutting capacity of 50mm thick at 90°. If you were cutting 75mm thick timber then that is most likely why the unit was cutting out. The burning of the timber is probably because the machine was working at a lower RPM due to 75mm being overcapacity.

If you need to do lots of cuts then a 240V circular saw will certainly cope better with the job. You'll note than even the 240V units generally only get up to a 65mm cut depth and you might need to cut both sides of the slab to achieve 75mm cuts. You could also try this with your circular saw. Drop the depth guard to 37.5mm and try cutting from both sides.

The most budget-friendly machine that has a full-depth cutting capacity of 75mm is the Ozito 254mm (10") 2100W Double Bevel Sliding Compound Mitre Saw.

We look forward to hearing more about your edging and retaining wall project. We'd encourage you to let us know if you need further assistance or would like to share your results with us. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Appreciate the reply and help Mitchell!

I mistyped in my original post, the sleepers I am trying to cut down are 50mm and not 75mm as originally stated. I did try adjusting the depth and while it was better, it did still cut out and definitely felt like I was pushing the saw past its comfort zone. 

I referred back to a Bunnings how-to video I had seen where it appears the 18v 165mm AEG is cutting through the sleeper quickly and easily, and even in its own promo picture (https://www.bunnings.com.au/aeg-18v-165mm-li-ion-cordless-circular-saw-skin-only_p6230112). 

I shall give it a few more goes as I'm sure there is some technique involved I haven't got close to mastering! Cheers.

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Glennt

Just a thought, how are you supporting the timber when cutting. If cutting between 2 supports the sleeper will close in on the blade jamming it. You need to support one side so the weight opens the cut. Just a thought.

JDE

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @glennt,

Many thanks for the additional information. As @JDE has mentioned pinching of the blade can cause the issues you have described. What Amp hour (Ah) battery are you running and was it fully charged before starting the job?

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc @JDE .

I setup the sleeper on the ground supported by some bigger offcuts so that the piece being cut off would fall to the ground so hopefully no pinching is occurring there.

This is just a 6ah battery (tried both the force and pro version) I have on hand. 

Is it worth picking up a new blade more suited to cutting sleepers, opposed to the included blade?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @glennt,

I've just made contact with AEG technical assistance to discuss your issue. They have advised that the saw out of the box with a 6Ah battery should be more than capable of cutting through a 50mm sleeper without cutting in and out. If you continue to have issues then I would suggest taking the saw in with your proof of purchase to one of our stores. The team will then send the unit off to be assessed at an authorised repairer to see if there is a fault with it.

Please let me know if you require any assistance with this process.

Mitchell

Ahh, thanks for the info @MitchellMc! I'll give it a few more goes then take it in if it's still not cutting it — pardon the pun.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

"This is just a 6ah battery"

I know the world is turning to batteries, but I'm still resisting it. :smile:

Is amp hours indicative of power or longevity?

I have seen tradesman with battery powered circular saws - and they always seem to be struggling and you can hear the saw slow down as it progresses through the wood. Some of this wood is only 35mm thick.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade,

Amp-hours is used to typically describe the run time on a unit. I have been made aware lately after viewing side-by-side comparisons that amp-hour can also affect the power of the unit. For instance, if you a drilling 30mm hole in hardwood with an 18volt drill and using a 1.5AH battery it might cut out or struggle to drill through. A 5AH battery might have no issues with this same job.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects