Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Umbrella stand planter

shannonrennison
Growing in Experience

Umbrella stand planter

3EDE262B-B701-45FD-AD9C-10BA2682BEEF.jpeg

C1741C9E-DD0B-48AA-B552-D87F019E4424.jpeg

6FE3CA1C-F2C9-4A6B-B18D-23D9ACB86054.jpeg

3C9F927C-A391-4892-B3EF-7B76B7B337F0.jpeg

7E7A1E28-D260-4E56-9D08-ACD8C67D5628.jpeg

You could use any planter/pot for this project. I chose a plain white one which I could paint but you could use any. 
1. Measure the diameter of your umbrella pole and buy a bit of pipe that is slightly larger. 
2. Cut the pipe to size and set it in concrete in a smaller plastic pot (make sure to cover the holes) 

3. Fill around the smaller pot with pebbles to help with drainage. 
4. Add potting mix and plant some flowers you like. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Umbrella stand planter

That looks wonderful, @shannonrennison! Much more aesthetically pleasing than what's on offer with traditional umbrella stands.

Did you need to use a particular type of paint on the pot? I love the design and colour you've chosen. I've recently used some Crommelin 1L Liquidstone Terracotta and found it excellent on pots and ornaments.

You've created an amazing space for BBQs, entertaining and relaxation. Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Looks great!  :smile:

I noticed the umbrella can be angled. If you do so is there still enough weight to prevent it falling over?

Thanks Mitchell, 

I primed the pot with rust oleum spray paint and then just painted with a regular Taubmans sample pot. I sealed it with with a rust oleum clear sealant after that :smile: 

Definitely holds the weight when it’s folded. I am going to add a large wing nut through the top of the pipe to keep it more secure in high winds but it stays quite well without it :smile: 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects