Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycled potting table

Renowayoflife
Becoming a Leader

Upcycled potting table

I have been staring at this rusty old shed shelf for months, not knowing what to do with it, I almost threw it out but I’m so glad I didn’t. Instead I repurposed it into a potting station.

BeforeBefore

Derek cut off the top of the shelf and the potting station started to take shape. 

Once I washed the loose rust from the frame and let it dry completely, I applied two coats primed and painted it, I didn't grind the rust off completely, which I probably should have done but I decided to take that risk.

Honestly, this step alone was so transformative; even as a shelf, it would look fab in any shed or garden, but I wanted my potting station, so I went rummaging around the house and found some old hardwood that came off our house during the renovation, not only does it have a nice story but it’s over 100 years old so looks perfect. I had planned to paint the wood but instead decided to clean off the loose paint and leave it as is as I love the look of it.  Derek cut it at 45 angles to create a more interesting bench.

Bench.jpg

I love how this turned out and enjoy having a functional yet beautiful potting station as a feature of our garden.

This is your sign to take a look around your yard and reimagine some of those rusty old shelves or fences and instead of throwing them out, upcycling them into some thing truly beautiful.

Upcycling is a great way to be more sustainable and reduce waste

Happy DIYing 

Claire 

TT

IG 

Blog

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Get Ready for Spring with this Upcycled Potting Table

Hi @Renowayoflife 

Thank you so much for sharing this fantastic project. Another saved appliance and given a second life. Is that a gold finish you applied to the steel frame? I'm going to have to start looking at the stuff in my shed and see if any of it can be repurposed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Upcycled potting table

Good afteroon @Renowayoflife 

I really like it, so useful and coming from what it was it looks outstanding!

I think the gold adds a certain class to your garden :smile:

Dave 

Re: Get Ready for Spring with this Upcycled Potting Table

Thanks @EricL 

Thank you! yes, time to pull out all of the rusty shelving and give them some new life.

I used the Dulux Metalshield Hammered bronze on the frame. I love how it turned out.

Thanks again 

Thanks so much @Dave-1 , i appreciate you saying so.

Love how it turned out.

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

You & Derek have done a great job on this @Renowayoflife!  The transformation proves that it really pays to hang onto well made 'old stuff'!  And the angled benchtop really does give it that individual flavour!  Congratulations to the two of you 👏

Thank you @Tyro @it was such a fun project - the hardwood bench proved hard to cut but Derek did a great job of it 🤍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects