Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Water for Wildlife

Deanna
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Water for Wildlife

Hi All

With the temps soaring this weekend, if you're able to put out water for the wildlife, I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated.

Here's Tolley, currently in hospital care, enjoying the sprinkler system we turned on for him this morning
(I enjoyed it too  LOL)

Thanks humans!Thanks humans!

Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Re: Water for Wildlife

If you put a container of water out, make sure theres a rock or stick in it so small creatures like lizards etc dont drown and can climb back out as well :smile:
Deanna
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

@Prawns  Excellent point!  

We keep the dog dishes filled with cool water in the shade, and the birdbath filled - the dog doesn't drink from those bowls, strictly for the birds :grin:.  The magpies and other birds appreciate it, and the magpies are really friendly even when nesting. They sometimes steal the dog kibble, and LOL, the dog doesn't even worry.

Good idea on the lizards, we have been getting quite a lot of them coming into the house to get out of the heat, so we have been putting down saucers of water within reach, and I don't mind them nibbling on the strawberries, there are plenty of them in the garden.

:angelic:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I was sad to read this story this morning @Deanna - https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/nightmare-over-2000-flying-foxes-perish-during-victorian...

I also noticed some possums in our area didn't survive the two extremely hot days we had last week. It's another hot one down here in Melbourne today, hope everyone is managing to stay safe and as cool as possible.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Deanna
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

The heat can be vicious to the animals  :unhappy:     

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects