Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What adhesive and grout for paving backyard area?

jaydenRadisich
Finding My Feet

What adhesive and grout for paving backyard area?

Hi All,

need some help on a couple of items regarding Paving to my Backyard 

area is about 3500mm x 2450mm and is going to be used as a firepit/seating area 

I have a rectangle existing concrete slab which I want to put these tiles on top of https://www.bunnings.com.au/tuscan-path-600-x-600-x-20mm-taupe-porcelain-paver_p0129326 

• Question 2 - what would you normally do for the gaps in-between, either grout or sand ? I've done a little research and it seems that most grouts don't last to long for exterior use and what would be a good product be for either grout or sand ? 

please note that this is full exterior so it will get rain and water on these 

any help would be amazing :smile:

Thanks Jayden

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What adhesive and grout for paving backyard area?

Hello @jaydenRadisich

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about what grout and adhesive to use on your backyard paving project.

I will need to get back to you as the paver you are using is just on the edge of being considered a large format tile. In this situation, you may have to use a different adhesive. I will call our provider tomorrow to confirm that the type of adhesive you plan on using is suitable. As soon as I have more information, I will get back to you.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jayden (@jaydenRadisich)

Just wanted to add my own personal warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. 

We're really looking forward to seeing how you can transform your backyard. If you could share some before and after photos, I'm sure the rest of the community will really appreciate it as everyone loves a good backyard makeover. 

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

Eric,

im glad to join :smile: ive been watching other projects and have finally decided to join and fire some questions away :smile:

that would be awesome if you would be able to find out for me.

thanks for the response :smile:

Hello @jaydenRadisich

I've just spoken to our provider's technical department and I've been informed that the Dunlop 8kg Wall And Floor Tile Adhesive will work with the pavers. I recommend using Dunlop 1L Multipurpose Water Based Primer on your concrete slab to enhance the bond between the adhesive and the floor. If you are having a large gap like 5mm and over between pavers, I suggest using Davco 20kg Neutral Slate And Quarry Grout. It is rated to be used on gaps from 5mm to 12mm and can be used for exterior applications. One of the best ways to protect your grout is to use Crommelin 500ml Grout Sealer. It is a water-based sealer that provides UV protection and a semi-gloss coating that provides a defense against dust and debris.

It sounds like a fantastic project and will definitely enhance the look of your backyard area. Any updates you can provide while building it would be much appreciated.  

Before you begin here are some building tips for your project.

• Make sure that the fall of your pavers is towards your garden or drainage area. If you install your pavers totally flat water may pool in unexpected places and create a slipping hazard. 
  • If there is no garden to drain into consider putting in some Everhard 3m EasyDRAIN Compact Polymer Grate And Channel to carry the water away towards your water drain.
  • Calculate the number of pavers you will need plus an extra 2 for unexpected accidents and cutting mistakes. Keep the extra pavers as spares in case any of them need replacing if they get damaged.  

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to lay pavers

Let me tag our paving wizard @Yorky88 for his recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects