Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What adhesive to use to lay 30mm thick granite pavers on a cement path outside?

Nova1
Getting Established

What adhesive to use to lay 30mm thick granite pavers on a cement path outside?

We are using 30mm granite pavers on a cement path but the pavers are coming loose. We used a premixed cement mortar but as you can see this mortar is breaking down into sand. Suggestions please for what adhesive to use in a constantly wet area please?

Also how to cut these to go around the down pipes and drains please?

many thanks in advance for your recommendations!

IMG_20220503_144334729.jpgIMG_20220503_144404441.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What adhesive to use to lay 30mm thick granite pavers on a cement path outside?

Hello @Nova1

Thank you for sharing your question about your pavers. In this instance, we will have to address the issue of the area being constantly wet. Even if you use a dedicated adhesive to glue the pavers onto the concrete base, any water running through or soaking the area will eventually break the glue down. 

I suggest using a waterproofing membrane such as Crommelin 1L Exterior Grade Brushable Waterproofer. But the conditions are that the cement adhesive must be finished to a flat surface at the sides to allow you to paint the surface evenly. I propose using Bastion 20kg Premix Mortar to re-attach the pavers that have come loose. Please make sure to remove the old mortar before putting on a new bed of mortar. 

However, if you can find and address the source of the water in the area, and why it keeps ending up near your pavers then it will save you from having to waterproof the cement adhesive of the pavers.  

To cut a circular hole in the pavers, I suggest using Kango 64mm Diamond Pro Holesaw. This hole saw is rated for use on granite pavers, it comes in larger sizes so please choose carefully what size you'll need. To cut granite pavers you can use Craftright 2 Piece Cold Chisel Set or a grinder with a blade that's rated for cutting granite pavers.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nova1
Getting Established

Re: What adhesive to use to lay 30mm thick granite pavers on a cement path outside?

thanks Eric for your recommendations.  do I need any plastisizer or additive to the mortar?

Pavers are in a shady damp spot, no running water unless it rains. 

thanks again

Nova

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Nova1

I don't recommend adding a plasticizer to the mix. If you wish to mix in an additive, I suggest using Bondall 1L BondCrete Cement Additive, this adds bonding strength to the mortar. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nova1
Getting Established

thankyou Eric for your assistance. We start tomorrow!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects