Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What are my options for rusty and leaking gutters?

sayh
Finding My Feet

What are my options for rusty and leaking gutters?

As clearly visible in the following photo, years of neglect has unfortunately led to our gutters around the verandah roof becoming rusty and leaking. It started with a slight drip but the recent Sydney storms have sped up the deterioration and leaks.

As a very temporary measure, I’ve considered taping up defects with byute flashing tape, although I am fully aware that the rusting will continue and expect to need to do further work within a couple of months at best. 

There’s another sizeable dent in the gutter on the other side of the roof resulting in more bowing and I’m starting to think that the best is to take down this whole gutter and replace it altogether. 

Are there any other options? Initially, intended of getting a couple of roofing companies in for some quotes but that is proving to be a lot harder than anticipated. A plumber has quoted us at least $16K for new gutters. Considering the high cost and seemingly challenging logistics involved just to get more quotes, is there a DIY option that I could complete mostly independently? As an avid DIYer who still has lots to learn, I’m keen on giving this a go myself (and by the way, I’m loving the Bunnings Workshop community – such wealth of knowledge available so thank you for what you do!). 

IMG_9329.jpeg

IMG_9333.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What are my options for rusty and leaking gutters?

Hello @sayh 

Thanks for sharing your question about your gutter. Replacing galvanized or powder coated gutters at height is challenging and difficult. It will require a minimum of two people to properly hang and balance a gutter efficiently. Especially if it is a long gutter and has a lot of connections.

I understand that you are keen to do this as a D.I.Y project, but if there is a great deal to replace and the locations or logistics will will be difficult to access, I suggest engaging the services of trades person. The installation will be done professionally and will be covered by the installers guarantee.

I propose putting the job on offer at Hipages or Airtasker and see what kind of quote you get.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects