Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What colour should I use to oil my deck?

Kim1987
Finding My Feet

What colour should I use to oil my deck?

Hi!

Can anyone tell me what colour to choose in order to get the similar finish on my deck?

and,

is it necessary to use deck cleaner/brightner before staining it? (This is a brand new house).

thanks in advance for help! 

My deck and desired colour deck photos are attatched.

A04FFC72-F0DB-4C26-AD05-BDED4EB4B0F2.jpeg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: HELP! very first time to stain/paint deck ( so lost..)

Welcome @Kim1987 and thanks for reaching out with your project question. We'd be happy to help.

Let me tag @Adam_W and @MGusto for their thoughts. @MitchellMc will also be able to provide suggestions when he's back on the site on Friday.

Look forward to seeing the end result.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What colour should I use to oil my deck?

Hi @Kim1987,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're thrilled to have you join us at this exciting time. Congratulations on the new house!

Can you please tell us what timber has been used on your deck? And also how long ago were the boards laid? 

Many thanks,

Jason

I guess it’s just plain pine timber ( it seems like it’s commonly used in Hobsonville area)

The deck is around 9-12months old :laugh: 

C3E13A8B-7CBF-43A7-9A78-57D2ADFBD60D.jpeg

Hey @Kim1987 

I had a holiday house in the country with a permapine deck. Firstly you need to treat it with a deck restorer. I used Diggers Rust and Stain Cleaner which is a mild bleach and contains Oxalic acid. It is a cheaper option than using proprietary deck cleaners which basically contain the same chemical.

I then used Intergrain merbau but the results were just OK not fantastic not because of the product but because it was going on permapine. The merbau colour wont look like the colour your after though. This is the real tricky bit because you only really get one go at it. Perhaps someone else has experience staining permapine with good results. Cheers

Thank you for your reply.

Which brand do you recommend? There are so many brands out there and it would be grateful if you could recommend some brand/colour to go on my pine timber deck. (i.e that gives smooth finish, easy to apply, etc) .

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing the extra photo and detail @Kim1987.

Let me tag experienced deck builder @Adam_W for his thoughts on how to get the look you are after.

@MitchellMc will also be happy to assist when he is back on the site tomorrow. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Kim1987,

Your inspiration picture is hardwood, likely coated with clear natural oil. Unfortunately, it's not possible to stain your treated Pine to look like that. We can try to replicate it, but you need to know that your results will only mimic it. I'd suggest you checkout Intergrains colour visualiser. You can input the details of your project, and it will give you an approximation of what the results will be. Below I've put together an image of Merbau, which is hardwood, versus treated Pine coated with Merbau stain. As you can see, the results are quite different.

If you can, I'd suggest heading into one of our stores as they will have displays of treated Pine which has had various stains and oils applied to it. This is really the only way to get a good idea of what colour to go with. I'm sure our team in-store would be more than happy to take a look at your inspiration picture and try to match it accordingly.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects