Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is an effective bird repellent or scarer?

super_cub
Getting Established

What is an effective bird repellent or scarer?

I'm reaching out to this wonderful community for some advice on a rather peculiar and frustrating issue we've been experiencing with a noisy miner bird. While I appreciate nature and its creatures, this particular bird has taken a keen interest in our home, and it's becoming quite a nuisance. I'm hoping someone here can suggest effective bird repellents or strategies to address this problem.

This bird has taken to knocking on our windows every morning, looking inside, and leaving unwanted droppings on our laundry hanging in the covered back porch. I am becoming frustrated every time i hang out clean laundry only to find bird droppings on them and having to rewash them every time! Since moving the clothesline isn't an option, I'm hoping someone can suggest effective bird repellents or strategies to address this problem.

Any advice on deterring the bird from our back porch area while respecting its well-being would be greatly appreciated.

signal-2023-09-01-091530_002.jpeg

Pictured: Him spying on us after knocking on the laundry window.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is an effective bird repellent or scarer?

Hi @super_cub,

Do you have a dog or cat? If not, I'd suggest placing quantities of Multicrop 400g Scat Bird And Animal Repellent around your porch area in small trays and at the window. The smell is unpleasant for animals, so it will encourage them to move on from the area. You can also try placing a Jack 280mm Pest Control Motion Sensor Owl in the area to see if that spooks the bird.

Adding bird spikes in front of the window would likely be the most effective way to stop the bird from landing for its peep show. The spikes don't actually hurt the bird, they just make it hand for it to land. I get the feeling that this unusual behaviour is the trigger for it sticking around. One of your neighbours is likely feeding it and this is how it gets their attention. It's probably just trying its luck with you too.

You might like to check out these similar discussions: How to keep birds out of my verandah and How to get rid of pigeons.

Please let me know how you go and if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell

We put up a fake plastic bird that has its wings spread like mid flight, It hangs on a tree branch by some wires away from the clothesline. The noisy miner has become obsessed with this fake bird and is preoccupied daily with swooping and attacking the thing. This has somewhat solved our issues, I am happy with this outcome as my laundry is safe.

Thanks for all the advice.

Good morning @super_cub Geez those Minor birds sound awful. Glad to hear you have got it under control. We get rats and I want to protect our Passionfruit from getting eaten so I have plenty of rubber snakes hanging around 🤣🤣

That's great to hear @super_cub! Hopefully, this new activity will prevent any further disturbances.

Many thanks for the update.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects