Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is causing this dampness on ceiling of the slfesco area?

ppp
Having an Impact

What is causing this dampness on ceiling of the slfesco area?

Can someone help me what is this problem?  This is the alfresco area.  I don't see it as water leak!

And please guide me how to solve this? 

Thanks

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-28 at 9.11.22 AM (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-28 at 9.11.22 AM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-28 at 9.11.22 AM.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is causing this dampness on ceiling of the slfesco area?

Hi @ppp 

It's unlikely that we'd be able to provide an answer as to the cause of the mould from just your images. There could be moisture getting into the ceiling, that's wetting the plaster and allowing mould to grow on the surface, or it could just be moisture in the air that has dampened the area. The length of time it takes to form this mould could indicate how bad the issue is. Has this mould developed quickly, or has it developed over several months? If you clean the mould off the paintwork, does it reappear quickly? Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to remove mould stains from walls.

It would be worth assessing the roof from above to determine if any compromised roof flashing is letting rain into the ceiling space. If water isn't getting in from above, then this might just be a case of needing to clean the mould off the paintwork and see if the issue returns. If you do decide to get on the roof, please have a read-through of this article before you do so: How to use ladders safely.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good morning @ppp 

Looking a that first pic makes me think there is water pooling on the other side (You can see the straight lines) and possibly has been for awhile. It may not be a lot of water but looks like it has been happening constantly which has helped the mold out to grow.

Pretty much what @MitchellMc  is saying is the next steps I would also take. (I have killed mold that grows especially in winter near my windows from moisyure build up with bleach and that seems to work well) But the problem needs to be fixed at its source to stop other things degrading.

Dave

ppp
Having an Impact

Thank you @Dave-1  @MitchellMc 

Looks like it is no issue at all as I was able to clean with Sugar Soap and ceiling looks fine. 
I will watch out for any issue but I guess it is just dust and dampness becuase it is outdoor. 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @ppp 

Wooohooo! :smile: Glad it cleaned up nicely. If it comes back (mine does in a few rooms) id keep in mind that straight line shadow. Thats what makes me think there could be moisture up there. Its always a relief when things come back with a little elbow grease :smile:

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's great to hear, @ppp. If the mould continues to return, perhaps have a bit of a further investigate.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects