Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best way to shore up a clay trench?

JacqG
Cultivating a Following

What is the best way to shore up a clay trench?

Thanks for any assistance. We got a guy to dig a trench at the lower part of a small embankment, along the dirt driveway to the drain. He only had one bucket size so really the trench was too wide to begin with, about 40-50cm. The trench is clay. Now each time it rains , here and there small areas of that embankment wall in the trench, collapse. What would be the best solution to ensuring the trench never collapses?

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

JacqG
Cultivating a Following

Re: What is the best way to shore up a clay trench?

thanks Dave..yes I can see a solution in your advice... much appreciated

Hi @JacqG and all

just  using a photo I have on website.  

For you steeper  wall areas.  Simple rock wall with black  woven weed mat behind supports an embankment (weed mat is  cheaper than Geo cloth given you have a reasonably long section to do.

Use the weed  mat plastic to line the trench fully including side walls.  any excess simply fold  under itself on the sides.

The rocks bed into the wall on top of weed mat and  all the recent rains didnt budge them or allow erosion. Note the dirt path no erroision tracks after 2 years todate.

The dish part of the trench use weed  mat with broken brick on top  finish off with nicer gravel as a top layer. Including more of the crushed  drive way  rock it will settle in to the top of the brick work and still allow water to flow.

By all means run a  ag pipe  sitting in the middle of the bricks but I dont think it will benifit you much more than broken bricks ( the kind with holes in them) as the water always finds its way down stream

simple rock embankment just piledsimple rock embankment just piled

JacqG
Cultivating a Following

a ha.. thanks for that, really helpful!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JacqG 

Thanks for sending the photos. Now that we see what's happening have you considered creating a concrete channel such as a spoon drain? It is possible to do it in 1m sections so that it will not crack or split. Another option is to use Brighton Masonry 200 x 200 x 50mm Charcoal Mypave Paver and build a "U" shaped channel to direct the water to the drain. The pavers can be joined together using Selleys 320g Liquid Nails Original Construction Adhesive

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JacqG
Cultivating a Following

wow so many great ideas and options..I guess I want to be able to do it as cheaply and effectively as possible. Am liking the brick rubble with mesh to geo.. Everyone has been really helpful!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Please keep us updated on the project @JacqG, as I'm sure everyone will be keen to hear what method you go with.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JacqG
Cultivating a Following

will do :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects