Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the run time of the AEG 58v chainsaw?

Joonie
Getting Established

What is the run time of the AEG 58v chainsaw?

How much can i cut on a single charge?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What is the run time of the AEG 58v chainsaw?

Hi @Joonie,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us and we are looking forward to reading all about your projects and plans. Perhaps how you plan to tidy up your backyard with a new chainsaw?

Apologies for the slow reply, but our resident product expert from Bunnings @MitchellMc will be back on the site tomorrow morning to assist you with your question.  

Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Joonie,

Due to the many variables that can affect runtimes, I'm not able to give you an exact answer. Whether the timber is hardwood or softwood, what thickness the branches/trunks are and if the chain is sharp or dull, will contribute to available runtime.

What I can do is give you my recommendation on whether the product will be suitable for your application if you'd like to let me know what type of work you intend to use it for. Perhaps you would like to cut green 10cm thick branches off the trees in your yard, or maybe you intend to cut 30cm thick seasoned hardwood logs for firewood?

As an estimation, you could possibly cut through fifty 10cm thick green branches, whereas you might get through ten 30cm thick seasoned hardwood logs before needing a charge.

I look forward to hearing about your intended use of the chainsaw and providing further assistance. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Joonie 

According to some battery websites 58volts at a steady 4amp load is equivalent to one hour of continuous use at that load and rate. 

But since using a chain saw is an on and off affair plus conditions of cutting always varies you may notice longer run times. Rarely do you come across a condition where the chainsaw is in a single position with a single cutting load for a continuous length of time. I suggest using @MitchellMc's ( welcome back buddy! ) method and do some testing. On a general search on the net there are some reviews of this product perhaps that may help you with the information your after. 

Cheers 

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How does the AEG 58v chainsaw compare to the stihl MS230 in performance and runtime?

I'm still keen to hear what your intended usage of the chainsaw will be @Joonie.

At the end of the day, both petrol and battery chainsaws do the same job. They both have a motor, gears, bar and chain. The difference lies in the capability of the motor attached to them. Both are suitable for use around your home and can get through some considerably tough timbers.

Battery chainsaws produce minimal noise, are button start, don't produce exhaust fumes, and they’ll run for hours on a high AH battery. They're also well balanced and lightweight, making them perfect for trimming branches and cutting timber.

Petrol chainsaws start much easier than their aged counterparts, have tonnes of power and will continue to function all day long if you have a jerry can nearby. They're perfect for cutting larger calibre branches, trees and hardwood for your fire.

I would advise a petrol machine if you intend to cut lots of hardwood that's more than 20cm thick and consider a battery unit for the pruning of branches and occasional use on hardwood instead.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Joonie
Getting Established

It will be used for cutting and collecting firewood.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: It will be used for cutting and collecting firewood.

Then I would strongly suggest a petrol-powered chainsaw @Joonie. They are much more proficient at cutting through dried hardwood, won't struggle with thicker cuts, and over-all have more torque or power than the battery alternatives.

Mitchell

Joonie
Getting Established

which battery powered chainsaw would cut the most firewood on a single charge.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: which battery powered chainsaw would cut the most firewood on a single charge.

@Joonie

From our range, it would either be the Ryobi 36V 4.0Ah 35cm Brushless Chainsaw Kit or the AEG 58V 4.0Ah Brushless Chainsaw Kit. I suspect the AEG will out preform the Ryobi as it has more available power. I would also recommend the AEG over the Ryobi if it is specifically firewood you are cutting.

@redracer01, any thoughts?

Mitchell

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Joonie 

I second @MitchellMc's suggestion the 58 volt AEG will provide you with more POWER! You can never go wrong with the bigger battery. Longer run time and maximum output from the motor is what you would expect from such a beast. AEG is a recognized brand for professionals and tradies It's built for tough use. So you can't go wrong using this equipment and it should provide you with a long service life. Please make sure to read the operators manual and make sure to load the oil tank for the lubrication of the chain.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects