Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is this fence timber?

Ange6
Finding My Feet

What is this fence timber?

Can anyone tell me the name of the timber in the photo? Want to use it as a picket fence plinth. Hard to see in photos but it has ridges on the side, 

C2BDB17A-9E8B-43EC-A4AD-1F05975D81C2.jpeg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: What is this fence timber?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Ange6. It's fantastic that you've joined us, and thanks for your question.

Let me tag a few of our keen woodworkers in the community such as @JoeAzza, @woodenwookie and @Jamespeter100, as well as @MitchellMc who will be back on the site on Friday to help with any questions.

Look forward to seeing your fencing project.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Ange6

.@StevieB  .@MitchellMc  @woodenwookie and @Jamespeter100,

It could be a KD Treated pine plinth, dressed, probably 190 x35mm.

.@JoeAzza

woodenwookie
Making a Splash

Not sure what it's called but I don't know if the grooves matter. In fact it could be causing more issues with rotting than it otherwise would.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/homed/garden/123971912/grooves-up-or-down-nzs-fierce-decking-deba...

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Ange6. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

It's great to see some of our helpful members have already been assisting with your question.

That is a rougher header or a micro-grooved machined profiled finish on outdoor framing timber. If you can provide the timber dimensions, then I can locate an equivalent product for you within our range. The other option is to use Woodhouse 66 x 42mm 5.4m Primed Pine Bottomrail Ext Fj Losp H3 for your project.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell. Via your website I sent a request for 140 by 35 treated pine (but could go 150 easily as thicker looks nicer) and for 70 by 35 TP for the rails. Website says a team member will call you in a day - I’m still waiting after a week. Your timber yard service is sorry to say shocking - the guy I asked didn’t  know what a plinth was. No one would help me in person so I went to the computer. And still no help. How am I supposed to DIY when I can’t buy supplies? Based in Footscray, Melbourne 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry to read of your experience @Ange6

@MitchellMc will be back on the site tomorrow and I will ensure he sends you a private message to get some more details so he can follow-up your order for you. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects