Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What material would best achieve a black background to timber clad gate?

DarylS
Growing in Experience

What material would best achieve a black background to timber clad gate?

Hi all, 

I'm building a sliding gate, considering cladding the steel frame in timber battens or timber decking boards. 
I understand I should leave a few mm's gap between the boards for expansion/contraction however i want to ensure people can't see through those gaps. 
What black materials (2mm acrylic sheet? Black mesh/plastic sheet?) can I place behind the spaced batten/boards to ensure you can't see through? 
I'm trying to avoid a sheet of marine ply painted black, light weight and thin is my preference so it doesn't weigh down the gate or require excessive maintenance. 

Alternatively, if I use tongue and grooved hardwood timber lengths and clad the gate with these, face fixing each to the steel frame, how does this timber (sealed and maintained) deal with expansion and contraction in external weather conditions? This would solve my problem of being able to see through gaps (there would be none) but I'd be worried with extremes in temperature (0cto 45degc) how the jointed and fixed panels accommodate for timber movement?
Am I overthinking this, when fixed into the frame they simply won't move at all and the joints won't open up or bow?

Many Thanks, 

Daryl

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What material would best achieve a black background to timber clad gate?

Hello @DarylS 

Thanks for sharing your question about what blocking material to use behind your gate.

I suggest looking at using Suntuf Sunlite 8mm x 610mm x 2.4m Clear Twinwall Polycarbonate Roofing for the back of the gate. It's light weight, easy to install and is weatherproof. 

I'm aware that you might be worried that it is a clear product. But although it is clear, it is only clear enough to let sunlight through and pretty much distorts any image coming through. It also comes in a dark grey colour, but it will need to be specially ordered at the special orders desk.  

I suggest visiting your local store and having a look at the Suntuf Sheets

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects