Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What materials for low-level deck over rainwater drain?

rpankaj39
Getting Established

What materials for low-level deck over rainwater drain?

Hello guys,

I am a newbie, planning to build a low-level deck on top of the rainwater pipes running(underground with one drain on the top). The size of the deck will be 2.8m * 6m approx. I don't want to dig and install the footing. I need some help with the foot and material.

Q1- Can I use Pedestal or tuff block for the footing? I am planning to prepare the floor using the builder's membrane and gravel.

Q2 – Can I use 90 x 45mm MGP10 H2F Termite Treated Blue Pine Timber Framing for Bearers and  Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 90 x 45mm for joits? There are limited options in the MGP10 frame in my location.

Q3 – What size of screws shall I use?

Q4-  List of tools?

@MitchellMc  I read your blog. It helped me to understand the Flooring structure. Thank you for that. :smile:

Thanks

Pan

rpankaj39
Getting Established

Re: What materials for low-level deck over rainwater drain?

Hi @EricL 

Thank you for your response

I am a bit confused with the image. So total deck height will be tuffblock+45(joist) +45(Bearer) +19mm(Merbau) is that correct?

joist and beares on its 90mm face.

Thanks

Pankaj

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What materials for low-level deck over rainwater drain?

Hi @rpankaj39

The image shows you that the Tuffblock is holding on to the 45mm side of the timber (facing down) and the 90mm will face the side. It would not fit if you tried to fit the 90mm side onto the top of the Tuffblock.  The same will apply to your joist, the 45mm will be facing down and the 90mm will be facing the side. I suggest visiting your local store and having a look at the Tuffblock. Bring one to the timber yard, test it on the 90x45 timber framing to get a better idea of how it fits and supports the timber. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your decking project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects