Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What sander to get?

deedums
Getting Established

What sander to get?

Hello to all, I have a large A-frame (4 shelves) bookshelf made from pallet timber. I use it for plants. It has deteriorated from the sun, water and is cracking. I would like to put marine varnish on it to spruce it up and protect it from the sun and water. Which sanding machine would do the job and what grit etc? I would like to use the machine on the scratches on my car also. Thanks,

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What sander to get?

Welcome to the community @deedums, we're pleased you could join us. 

I've moved your post to a standalone discussion so it's more easily found by other community members. I'm sure our helpful community will be more than happy to assist you with this project as well as many others to come in the future. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with something around the house or garden. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
deedums
Getting Established

Thanks for the welcome! Looking forward to being in the community.

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

I'd suggest a cordless orbital sander @deedums. If you'll only use it a few times, a Ryobi will be more than enough. The grit depends on how cracked/damaged the pallets currently are (for your first pass) then how smooth you want to finish it (for your second/third pass). I would think 80grit would be best to start, then finish it with 240grit.

But when choosing which brand to go with, think about your future plans. If you'll also need a drill, jigsaw, etc in future, think about a brand that will suit your needs and fit your budget. This way you can benefit from 1 brand with 1 type of battery that fits them all.

I haven't used an orbital sander on a car before, only a polisher (which has an orbital motion. So can't recommend its use for this but assume it'd be fine with a super fine grit or even a specific auto sanding/polishing pad.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

thanks so very much. that clears things up for me. Brilliant!

Thanks so much. That is very helpful advice just what I needed to hear. I will post pics of finished job after applying Marine Varnish! Then again, would you know the approx cost for a tradie to do it? It's a big job for me being inexperienced! Cheers,

Hello @deedums 

I'm an L-plater in this department, but have been learning as I go. In reference to your bookshelf, agree with @ProjectPete - depends on the timber and how much damage has been done. I've just finished working on an old door from 1920. I have invested in both an orbital sander and normal/mouse sander (for the tricky bits) . Due to my budget I have gone with the Ryobi cordless range which has been great for a beginner to get a feel for tools. I scrapped off any old paint first then started with an 80 grit working up to the 240. The door has come up a treat - I painted it white. 

Would be interested to hear what you have done in relation to the car scratches!

deedums
Getting Established

Hello to you and thanks for the advice. I haven't done anything about the A-frame or the car yet. The A-frame can wait till it's cooler. The car has to be done and it also has a bump.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects