Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What timber to use for beams for sunroom?

LanhNgo
Finding My Feet

What timber to use for beams for sunroom?

Hi,

I am planning to extend about 3.5m from the back of the house as a sunroom, I would like to know what types & sizes of timber I have to use as beams from the existing wall of the house to 3.5m post?

Lanh

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Timber Types & Sizes

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @LanhNgo. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about building an extension to your house.

You might need to consult with an engineer to draft up some plans for you. There are many variables at play when deciding on what timber you need to use. Is this going to be an enclosed sunroom or more like a pergola? Will there be a roof on it? Here are some pergola span tables from Hyne timber for you to reference. If it is a pergola, then you'll find this step-by-step guide useful: How to build a pergola frame.

As you can see from the span table below, with no ceiling and 900mm centres, a 140 x 45mm timber will span 3800mm.

Keen to hear more about your project and assist in your timber selection. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Span table.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Timber Types & Sizes

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you so much. The information provided was very helpful. I will keep you post as the project progress.

Lanh

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects