Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why are these driveway tiles cracking?

Newgreenthumb
Building a Reputation

Why are these driveway tiles cracking?

Hello, 

wondering if anyone can help let me know why these tiles / stencil on the side of the drive yeah either crack or partially crack? I don’t park anywhere near the fence so not sure why they keep appearing this way.

thank you.

6578AE32-624E-491F-BBFE-8C5C0B08E41E.jpeg3CC5DCD1-7019-4CAF-AA05-77BA8E68BD87.jpegCAC6990E-84AB-40E6-AB2B-6B2D907591FF.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Why are these driveway tiles cracking?

Those appear to be some type of faux paver @Newgreenthumb. Typically they'd stamp something like that into the concrete with a stencil, but in this case, it looks like a very thin tile-like addition. My best guess would be that they've degraded with age and cracked from repetitive heating and cooling cycles. The fact that they're so thin likely has contributed to them failing.

I can't think of any way to stop them from degrading further. If they are all becoming loose, then perhaps you could consider removing them.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc 

thank you. They are all over the edge of the home, driveway, garden bed etc and it’s only this area that seems to be becoming damaged for some reason. Thanks for your reply. 

"it looks like a very thin tile-like addition."

Not far from me is a fibro house that used these tiles to create a brick veneer look to it. And it looks OK.

Happy to post a photo.

Newgreenthumb
Building a Reputation

@Noyade  yea, that’s a better description then mine lol

ita ll around the units and they have all kept up fine but these ones along the driveway, not so much. I wanted to get the driveway cleaned but I assumed the pressure may effect these.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects