Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wood for Gazebo

TonyandKhim
Getting Established

Wood for Gazebo

Looking to put up a Gazebo, and checking on the wood.  Pillars there are either the H3 pine or the Merbau, and we prefer the Merbau look but... the problem is that we only seem to be able to see on your site the Woodhouse timber for the roof structure, ie painted, so we were thinking a painted roof matches a painted post, which means the pine option.  The question is that do you have structural H3 pine in more sizes, ie a 140 x 45 or close, and a 120 x 35 ? so not the finished Woodhouse type, just a plain pine that could be stained to match a Merbau post.

The long and short is that we are wanting a wood look rather than a painted timber look.

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Wood for Gazebo

Hi @TonyandKhim,

For the Merbau look, you can use Merbau 140 x 42mm 5.4m DAR for the ceiling joists to match the Merbau posts. What sort of roof did you wish to create? If it was to be open air then 42 x 28mm 2.7m Finger Jointed Merbau Screening can look quite nice used as slatting.

We have Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 140 x 45mm which you can stain, but nothing in 120 x 35mm H3 treated. If you could sketch out your desired roof plan, then I could possibly provide some alternative options.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Colorbond roof, 2.4 x 3.5 approx. Beams run front to back on a 5 degree angle (2m post to post)

The rafters will sit on a 2 x 2.8 frame.  So in the Woodhouse I had 185 x 42 for the beams although it looks like I might get away with 140 x 45 with a 2m span. (will use the same for the front facing so it looks square).  Rafters (side to side) I was looking at 138 x 42 in the Woodhouse with a 500 or 600 spacing depending on how the division of the width works out.  

Beam pretty much level with the post at the back, and maybe 300mm overhang on the front, rafters again maybe 200 or 300 overhang on the sides.

On you pics the middle one is the closest although it has 3 layers of beams/rafters where I plan on having just 2, with rafters sitting on the two end beams.  I do see from the picture that the beams are not inset into the post ?  I thought they needed to be for the support beams.

Does any of that make sense ?

@TonyandKhim,

That all makes sense, thanks. If you can use 138 x 42 then Merbau 140 x 42mm 5.4m DAR should work well. That would then allow you to decide if you wanted it all painted or Merbau. Are there any other sizes you would need to assist in the decision? It sounds like so far we have everything you need.

Mitchell

Out of interest what other Merbau x 45mm are available ?  Are these equivalent to an H3 for outdoor use ?  As I may get away with 140 beams rather than 185, I can probably raise the floor the extra and use the 90x45 the correct way.

Any suggestions for what to use for the 15mm decking clearance ? and how far apart the "lifts" should be.  I'm guessing that as the 90x45mm are 400 spacing, then every 400mm in both directions should work.

And roughly how many vertical screws or brackets would you recommend to hold the frame to the concrete base ?

@TonyandKhim,

That's it for what we stock in 45mm thick Merbau. We can special order additional sizes in from our supplier Magna, so you might like to check out their range. H3 pine has been treated and Merbau is a hardwood which doesn't require a treatment. They would have roughly equivalent lifespans outside, and both are suitable for exterior use.

Plastic spacers can achieve a 15mm clearance. If you are orientating the 90 x 45mm the correct way, then you install the L bracket to hold the timber at the right height. 90 x 45mm can span up to one meter unsupported.

I'd need to know the dimensions of the decked area, and then I can give you an idea of how many mounting points would be required.

Mitchell

Deck is 2.4 x 3.1m.  Timbers are going to run front to back, so the 2.4 width divides nicely by 400.  Not sure if I need to break up the 3.1 strips or not, cant really think why I might need to unless the spacers will sit better under an X joint rather than just under a straight timber.

Did you get the prior question about your picture, the middle one and why it seems not to have the beam recessed into the post ?  They seem to be just bolted to the post, which is obviously easier but I didn't think it was strong enough that way.

@TonyandKhim,

It is always a good idea to recess beams into posts, especially if they are bearing significant weight. In that style of roof, it is not a necessity.

If you are using L brackets then you would locate them every meter along the joists.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects