Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

automatic chicken coop door wiring help PLEASE

dani2526
Cultivating a Following

automatic chicken coop door wiring help PLEASE

Hi everyone 

I was hoping for some wiring help

with my auto chicken door please. 

I have copied my plans from another post on this page by Darryl. 

I have removed the sections I don’t need. 

I have 12volt power. The solar panel will keep the batteries charged. Volt meter to monitor power 

No solar control. I simply want the timer to open the door at a set time in the morning and to close the door at a set time at night. 

My confusion is regarding how I wire the relay. My understanding is:

COIL 14 + 13.

COMS 10 + 9. 

NO 6 + 5

NC 2 + 1

do I have the relay wired correctly please? 

My other problem is my micro switches. 

Again I have COM, NO and NC. From my understanding of Darryl’s plans I’m only using two of these connection points. Is that correct? If so what do I use? NO in COM out to relay? 

If someone could kindly help I would really appreciate it. 

I havent done this sort of stuff since about year 10 and I’m now 37. 

Ive included pictures of my timer and relay as well. I have picked everything to be 12v. 

I have two 6v batteries connected together. 

Thank you FADC4F8C-F1DA-4CE9-855E-4AC42D4F3842.jpeg

C800990E-076F-4302-BB01-9D50BA36CCF5.jpeg

959D7738-0AD5-48AD-80F5-C608DB695028.jpeg

AFE9539C-048E-4CAF-B613-3F893A3DCBC3.jpeg

My plansMy plans

Darryl’s plans I copiedDarryl’s plans I copied

Mouthpear
Cultivating a Following

Re: automatic chicken coop door wiring help PLEASE

@MitchellMc  You are welcome and thank you. Yes I am using Circuit wizard to simulate, "test" and use for the circuit diagram. For the practical illustration of the wiring diagram, I am using Visio.

Hi @Mouthpear.

The diagram looks fantastic. Do you use the programs for your own projects around the home as well? You may like to share some of them with the community, I'm sure many would find them interesting.

Thanks again for your input.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mouthpear
Cultivating a Following

@MitchellMc  Thanks Again. These programs I only use to show others how it can be done or to make sure I understand what they are asking. I hope that makes sense. As for my projects, I don't usually need to make diagrams for the wiring parts. The plan is usually in my head and when something is goes wrong, I physically troubleshoot the problem. I generally don't document my own projects. However I am in the process of constructing many chicken coop doors in various Different styles. Structurally and wiring. I hope to post them soon. The process is going slow since the budget for these things takes a back seat to the day to day expenses of living take priority. 

Mouthpear
Cultivating a Following

@MitchellMc I do have this one that I had to do in software. It is a bit complicated. While this can be done with arduino and much more simple. However in the area and situation this circuit will be in, the conditions can harm an arduino and make it glitch. While this is actually a simple Plasma track repeating cutter the circuit is more complex yet simple to replace parts rather than trying to reprogram.

ScreenHunter 276 2020-05-03 20.56.jpg

Hi @Mouthpear,

Just wanted to circle back and let you know that we have fixed the issue with uploading photos on longer discussions across the site. 

Apologies for any inconvenience caused and thanks for your patience while the team worked to address the problem.

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mouthpear
Cultivating a Following

Great..  Thank you for the update.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects