Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

caravan help

deborah
Getting Established

caravan help

Hi everyone. I have a 80s franklain caravan and it needs reworking inside but don't want to start ripping everything out and find I have done the wrong thing. It will be parked permenantly. Was also wondering how to make a tropical roof for it as it is a hot house. cheers deb

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: caravan help

@deborah,

Sounds like a fun project. You might like to add some photos to this discussion so that community members can see what you're working with. We have some keen caravan renovators in the community like @Peggers and @justintilson who might be keen to kick off the discussion. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community. It's fantastic to have you join us as one of our latest Workshop members. We hope you find plenty of helpful advice and inspiration on the site from our members. 

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

@deborah

I've never done a caravan reno before but I reckon it should be pretty obvious if anything inside is structural and shouldn't be removed. Maybe you could take a few photos and post them here though?

For the roof, again we need a bit more info. Do you basically need to build something like a freestanding carport or could it be more like a pergola and attached to the house?

There's a Bunnings how-to series on building a pergola as well as one on building a carport that might be helpful for getting started...

https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/outdoor/decking/how-to-build-a-pergola-overview

https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/outdoor/garage/how-to-build-a-carport

deborah
Getting Established

Hi and thankyou for the replies. I know it might be hard to beleive but I don't have a phone camera, so can't tranfer photos. I am very IT illiterite but hoping to line up a friend who can do this.  This will have to change just haven't caught up with the rest of the world yet.

Its good to know I can't do too much wrong and have taken on board cupboards might effect the roof. The van already leaks hence tropical roof. The van is going across to Karragarra Island on a vacant block as a bit of a change short stay place. Budget is not great for this to happen. Council need plans etc for erecting a building so I want to attach it to the van. It is wooden framed. Inside is dark imitation vj ply some water damaged. I would like to put in a sliding glass door or window to take in the view where the table is. Door would be great as I'd rather not have the skinny door it has already. So any tips or ideas would be helpful. rather nervous so haven't started yet. I persume I will have to do door and roof on the island as towing mighten work with it already done. cheers deb

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the update @deborah. No worries about the photos. They can just make it easier than having to describe things. 

I trust you also saw @Peggers's reply here - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Outdoor-Living/Renovated-an-old-70s-Millard-caravan/m-p/16151#M2346 and hope he and other community members might also have some additional advice for you. 

Good luck with the project,

Jason

David1
Growing in Experience

Work away to your hearts content the walls will stay up without anything in it we put a van on site and the builder mounted brakets on the edges of the van and it hold up a tin roof with out a problem regards David 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the advice @David1. I'm sure @deborah appreciates the input.

Make sure you check out the new interview with caravan renovator @Peggers on the blog - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Blog/Physical-creativity-on-the-road/ba-p/17663

Rob has also shared some great caravan renovation projects.

Jason

dhags
Just Starting Out

Hi Deborah,

The construction of the older vans is much like a house on a smaller scale. They have a timber frame, outside cladding and ply inside...just smaller timbers used than in a house.
I have stripped and replaced the ply in my van to reconfigure cupboards, bed, etc - first time van reno - nothing scarey.
There are a number of great caravan supply webstores to source the trims if you want the original finish.

Good luck.

Dave
Dave's Handyman and Gardening Services
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your expertise @dhags. I'm sure @deborah appreciates the advice.

It sounds like you have a lot of knowledge and experience to share with the community. We're really pleased you could join us. I hope you will also get plenty of helpful information and inspiration for your projects from the community in return, and have some fun too. 

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Thanks again,

Jason

deborah
Getting Established

Ah thanks I feel more secure now knowing I can pull out cupboards and linings off and will still stay up. hope to start next month. cheers deb

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects