Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

caravan help

deborah
Getting Established

caravan help

Hi everyone. I have a 80s franklain caravan and it needs reworking inside but don't want to start ripping everything out and find I have done the wrong thing. It will be parked permenantly. Was also wondering how to make a tropical roof for it as it is a hot house. cheers deb

Re: caravan help

You haven't mentioned the year model, but if the caravan has white painted exterion, it is more than likely to be composite panel walls. That means it is 3 or 3.6mm plywood interior glued to approx 1 inch (25mm) of styrene foam which has very thin aluminium bonded to the outside. These panels are made in a vaccuum press and then stood on the floor. They are structurally sound on their own when built. The robe is usually placed near the door to add rigidity to the structure when travelling.

All windows and door would have 25 x 25mm timber in the wall to screw to. The hinge side of the door may have a steel upright in wall to strengthen it.

It is most important to remove all windows and replace the sealant between window and wall. Water penetration will cause the internal wall timber to rot out.

Just placing silicone or similar on the outside will not fix the problem as the existing paint would be oxidised and powdery. There are much better methods for sealing windows than silicone. Window sealant on Viscount leakingWindow sealant on Viscount leaking

Particle board mounting in wall behind power inlet disintegrating because of water leaks.Particle board mounting in wall behind power inlet disintegrating because of water leaks.

The two above photos illustrate where water is leaking in. The blackened sealant is the result of dirt washing in with the tracks of water.

Water is very dangerous because it can cause electric shocks. It it wise to have your electrician fit a safety switch (earth leakage circuit breaker) or have one fitted to the circuit that you are plugging it in to on the island.

Cheers

Graeme

@deborah
Hi Deborah,
Any updates on your progress with the van? I'm keen to see what you're doing.
Cheers, Liz.
Shelby
Cultivating a Following

@deborah I'm also keen to know how you're getting on! I'm eager to buy and Reno a van myself! Not sure what I'd do with it as we actually have a caravan, but I've always wanted to do one up...
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Shelby,

Thanks for joining in the discussion.

Have you seen the How to renovate a caravan series of articles by @Peggers? If you click on Rob's username you'll also find loads of posts about his projects - they are very inspiring! We look forward to reading about you taking the plunge!

Welcome to the Workshop community. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Shelby
Cultivating a Following

Yes I sure have thank you @Jason ! I was on the bunnings website and it showed one of the blog posts and I was like WHAT??? I couldn't believe how helpful it was and then of course found this whole community! I've got a book chockers full of projects at the minute, I'm already getting out of control haha! 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good stuff @Shelby. We look forward to helping you turn that book of ideas into reality. :cool:

Jason

@David1 

Hi David well that sounds pretty good what sort of rackets did the builder put on the edge of the van and what size posts to hold up the roof did you use.

I am looking to help my son cover his van so that it will not be so hot during the summer months. I appreciate any comments you may give me thanks and regards Norm

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @normroberts. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

Let me mention @David1 so they are alerted to your question and hopefully answer it for you.

You might be interested in starting your own discussion so that your question is more visible to the wider community. That way we can discuss methods of reducing heat within your son's van specifically.

We look forward to hearing more about your project and would encourage you to let us know if you need assistance or would like to share it with the community. 

Mitchell

I wonder if one can purchase the aluminium brackets used to support the tropical roof or whether they have yo be personally constructed.

Vacuum the dust out and soak that particle board with a diluted Bondcrete mixture to seal it up. 60% Bondcrete and 40% water, paint it on, let it soak in and dry then give it another coat.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects