Workshop
Ask a question

How to install panels next to Colorbond fence?

Shano
Finding My Feet

How to install panels next to Colorbond fence?

Hello I've had my pool installed now I need advice on the job I want to try and do. I want to install James Hardie panels next to the colour bond fence however unable to dig due to the easement. Restrictions from boundary to 2 metres from boundary fence 

The colour bond fence is not straight as it can be seen in the photos. 

There are a retaining wall I was thinking of framing it from at the bottom. Not sure if it's advisable.

Has anyone got any tips on how I can do the framework also am I able to do this on the shared boundary fence ?

Thanks for your support 

1000007600.jpg

1000007601.jpg

1000007599.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install panels next to Colorbond fence?

Hello @Shano 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about installing James Hardie panels.

There was a project built by @diy_hausdesigns - How to install weatherboard fencing? However, this was built on a newly installed timber fence. Unfortunately, I don't think your Colorbond fence will be able to take the added timber frame and weight of the boards.

Since you can't dig near the fence and you can't attach anything to the fence, I suggest having a look at this discussion - Planter box privacy screen with bench seat by @MichaelDIYHall. This screening assembly can be built linked in series to cover your entire fencing area. 

You can turn the seating area into a raised garden so that the assembly is strong and heavy enough to hold the weight of the weatherboard. You can place the privacy screen as close you want to the Colorbond fence without affecting it. But what is important is that the raised garden be heavy enough to hold the frame upright.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @Nailbag and @diy_hausdesigns for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Shano 

What about building a concrete plinth style base, use the concrete doubly by making sure its level with future paving or the lawn for now but it will give you something to bolt posts to so you can mount your hardipanels to. Make it wide enough so the weight cant tip it over (small width the deeper the hole, larger width the less deep the plinth needs to be. I would suggest some reo in it to stop cracking and give it strength.

Dave

Nailbag
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Shano is it feasible to at your expense replace the boundary fence section with pool fence compliant fencing matching in with the existing fence? It appears to me that this would be the simplest, cleanest and most cost effective solution. Then there would be no need to install a separate pool fence and have any concerns regarding easement and resolve the crooked fence-line

Regards, Nailabg

Shano
Finding My Feet

Thank you all for your advice and other options. Unfortunately my neighbour is not keen on fence replacement due to it expanding over three properties. I will look into other options suggested, however I'm hearing it's not strong enough to secure into current retaining wall. I was hoping I could do so and frame out.

Shano
Finding My Feet

Sorry just one more question is the issue the crooked fence line because I can dig from where the fence line isn't straight.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @Shano 

If you used a plinth (concrete footing like a narrow path) to bolt some new posts to, leave the old fence insitu you could sidestep the fence issue. Fence are always a pain as you need two parties to agree on something. Its standing, other party is saying nope. so bypass it by installing posts yourself and screening in.

It seems to have happened to my neighbour and myslef before we had our places. On his side of the fence there is another fence that is 600mm at least higher then the original 1.2m ish fence on his side. I presume the old owners had the same issue as you.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Shano 

Now that @Dave-1 has explained it in detail, I totally agree with his idea. It is a much easier option and there is theoretically less building involved. By having the concrete plinth next to your fence, there will be no need to dig deeply as the framing will just be holding the weatherboard.

I've placed an image below to give you an idea of how it can be built. The best part is that you can add extras to your build such as a small roof attachment so that there is shade, you can even add seating along the run.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Becoming a Leader

Nice one @Dave-1 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects