Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

old Millard caravan

beckyboo
Growing in Experience

old Millard caravan

Hi, I'm very new to DIY. This will be my first ever project. Last week I bought an old Millard caravan for 500 dollars. I'm unsure of the year and model but was told probably from the 60's. The chassis number is M1672 if this helps someone identify it I'd be very grateful.

I have a few questions I'm hoping someone could help me with. I'll put some photos up when the sun comes up. Most of the thing's that needed to be stripped out have been removed before I bought it. There is one upper cupboard that needs removing. I tried to do this myself through I discovered the electrical saw and I don't quite see eye to eye. I am paying someone to come help me remove the cupboard and teach me how to use the saw safely. The reason I have to remove the cupboard is because we have discovered the wooden structure behind it needs replacing. I need to know if it's right that I use a soft wood for the timber structural framework because this is what I have been advised?

Also when I'm insulting how do I place it with the wiring? How much of a gap needs to be left? I've had the wiring checked and it is in good order but I didn't think to ask about the insulation.

The floor is structurally safe but needs a floor covering. I'm thinking about getting the black and white check vinyl floor tiles from Bunnings. Just wondering if this is good for caravan floors?

My decor style is going to be 1950's diner. I have a wishlist on Bunnings web site. It was 989 dollars but I've got it down to 812 dollars my problem is I'm only going to have about 700 dollars to spend after I get the five Windows fixed. All five need new glass I'm getting a quote tomorrow so I'll know exactly how much I have to spend.

One way I've cut back is on paint. I'm going to get the cheapest which is the Spring brand. My question is has anyone used this and is it okay quality? I know I can't expect the best when it's so inexpensive but I just need it to last until I can get a more expensive paint in a few months.

I'm trying to cut back on tools I'll need to save money. I don't know what else to cut back on but I have to chop 100 off somewhere.

Last question for now in the bedroom area the are two wardrobes with large hanging space in both of them. I want to put shelves in one for clothing as there are not many draws for clothing. What type of timber should I use? And how should I attach the shelves to the cupboard walls? I was thinking small brackets and short screws.

Thanks for any help and I'll put some photos up soon.

Peggynme
beckyboo
Growing in Experience

Re: old Millard caravan

Hi, I forgot to ask one thing. I'm wanting to stick vinyl records to the roof after I paint it. Sort of like a feature wall but on the roof. What kind of adhesive would I be best to use? Thanks.
Peggynme
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Peggynme (@beckyboo)

Welcome to Workshop. This sounds like a fantastic project for your first D.I.Y. adventure. I'm sure the Workshop community would love to assist along the way and provide some inspiration, information and advice. 

Let me tag some other caravan renovators who might like to kick off and answer some of your questions...

@Peggers

@justintilson

@deborah

@David1

@dhags

I'm also looking forward to seeing some photos of your van, which also might help in the identification process. 

And finally, have you see the profile we recently ran on fellow caravan renovator @Peggers? I'm sure you'll find it inspiring. 

Thanks again for joining us. Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
deborah
Getting Established

Hi there fellow want to be caravan renovator. I'm wondering where you are. I have lots of tools and have a van I want to renovate but feel very ignorant on how to. maybe we can attack together. I have to take off the panelling to replace and insulate. apparently mine is a wooden frame too. how does the wooden frame attatch to the van shell? Haven't pulled any cupboards off yet didn't realize they would need electric saw etc. looking forward to hearing from you. cheers

beckyboo
Growing in Experience

My Millard caravan Peggy.

well here she is. She's a bit rough but she'll be beautiful when I'm finished.FrontFront

SideSide

Inside frontInside front

Kitchen areaKitchen area

Sitting area looking into bedroomSitting area looking into bedroom

Sitting area with table downSitting area with table down

Right side wardrobe in bedroomRight side wardrobe in bedroom

Left side wardrobe in bedroomLeft side wardrobe in bedroom

Looking into living area from bedroomLooking into living area from bedroom

Double bedDouble bed

Peggynme
royq
Having an Impact

Re: My Millard caravan Peggy.

Looks like a lot of work and a lot of fun @beckyboo, I'd start with a waterblast on the outside, you'll feel better about the project once it's a bit tidier. Get heaps of photos and videos as you go, a project vid on this refurb would be awesome! Looking forward to watching it progress!

Cheers, Roy

beckyboo
Growing in Experience

Re: My Millard caravan Peggy.

Thanks for your advice about cleaning the outside of my van. I have borrowed a pressure washer of a friend. Just waiting for Windows to be fixed so water doesn't get inside.  

Peggynme
David1
Growing in Experience

Hi beckyboo soft wood is easier to work with thats why most caravan places used it ,as for insulation the caravan place I worked at used polystyrene as you can cut around the wiring quite safely regards David1
beckyboo
Growing in Experience

Thanks @David1 I hadn't thought of using polystyrene.

Peggynme
beckyboo
Growing in Experience

Hi @deborah iI live in Orange NSW. I'd love to discuss anything about our renovating of our caravans. Yesterday my 12 year old son and I pulled out the seats in the dining area. I wasn't planning this but I found two really funky retro chairs that I just had to have. They were free so that twisted my arm. I'll take more photos later. We also came across a small problem. My son's foot went through the floor right at the edge. So we went over the whole floor to check it so it's safe. There are two parts that need replacing. Got some advice about it and it's not as bad as I thought. I've also decided to do a tile splashback in the kitchen area. I've decided on white subway tiles. Anyway better get back to renovating. Bye for now

Peggynme

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects